HM DVR and my other DVRs in the house

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

HM DVR and my other DVRs in the house

Message 1 of 4
(3,429 Views)

Hi all,

I just got my Home Media DVR yesterday.  My other two boxes in the house are HD-DVRs. 

Other than making use of all that hard drive space (by using the DVRs on all three boxes), is there any other advantage of keeping those two regular HD-DVRs?  Or should I just swap those out for regular set top boxes and use my HM DVR as my single "hard drive" with all my recorded shows which I can watch on my opther TVs via their swapped out regular STBs?

Also, would I also be able to watch or see files from my PC via Media Manager on the TVs that have the regular (not HD-DVR) STBs if I swap them out?

Thanks alot!!

Ross

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: HM DVR and my other DVRs in the house

Message 2 of 4
(3,413 Views)

@dakota74 wrote:

Hi all,

I just got my Home Media DVR yesterday.  My other two boxes in the house are HD-DVRs. 

Other than making use of all that hard drive space (by using the DVRs on all three boxes), is there any other advantage of keeping those two regular HD-DVRs?  Or should I just swap those out for regular set top boxes and use my HM DVR as my single "hard drive" with all my recorded shows which I can watch on my opther TVs via their swapped out regular STBs?

Also, would I also be able to watch or see files from my PC via Media Manager on the TVs that have the regular (not HD-DVR) STBs if I swap them out?

Thanks alot!!

Ross

Well, recording space IS a big deal in my household, but if that is NOT at issue, then switching to HD-STBs instead of DVRs will:

(1) Save you a few $$$/mo;

(2) Allow you to share content from the HM-DVR to the HD-STBs;

and that's about it for advantages.  All of the PC media and Internet video and access is limited to the HM-DVR only and is not shared with the other STBs.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(3,405 Views)
ok, so then lets say i have an .avi file on my PC.  I can watch it on the HMDVR tv?
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 4 of 4
(3,403 Views)

@dakota74 wrote:
ok, so then lets say i have an .avi file on my PC.  I can watch it on the HMDVR tv?
Yes (in theory).
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.