Re: HORRIBLE experience after upgrade rolled out
telebears
Enthusiast - Level 3

I take back what I said about Justin, since it got edited. I vehemently disagree with Justin. There is strong evidence on this message board that there are wide spread problems.

0 Likes
telebears
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is exactly what I find so infuriating about Verizon. They give these automated, canned responsed to contact techical support and trouble shoot. Whenever you call techincal support, they follow their automated script and tell you to do a hard reboot. That is flat out an unacceptable response. As I have repeatedly said, this issue happens once, if not twice, a day. To think that Verizon expects their user to do go through this 5-minute process every single time to fix a problem is absurd.

They will lose this customer for sure, and they will continue to do so until they take steps to fix the problems and satisify the customer problems. 

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Power cycling (unplugging the power cord and plugging back in) is a fix for most problems. Most of the time the problems that may pop up are not reoccuring problems so this is a viable solution. When someone posts that they are having troubles we suggest this first unless they say they have tried it already. Reoccuring problems that come up and not fixed permanetly by a power cycle must be fixed by reprogramming the box, factory resetting the box, or box replacement. I see from your earlier post that you are getting a new box. Please send me a private message if you have problems with that box or need help hooking it up.

0 Likes
virge54

Anthony,

This is my original post:  Please explain away my problems.  If there is a box that works well with this upgrade please fill me in!

I have been struggling with this 'upgrade' since it happened.  DVR has been rebooted many times.  It seems that the convenience I enjoyed before the upgrade is gone.  I have in my home 2 HDDVR's.  The problems are on both.

Unable to rewind live TV.  Now before the upgrade the DVR had to be on that channel from the beginning of the show.  If you were finished watching something recorded on the DVR and you went back to LIVE TV in the middle of a show you could rewind to the beginning.  Not anymore!

Same thing with recording.  I have hit the record button in the middle of a show and it only records from the moment I hit the button even though I haven't changed channels.  Many times it actually shows the the correct number of minutes, but when you hit play it only starts from the time you hit the button

Skip and fast-forward are wacky.  When using these features MANY times it goes to the end of the show.  When I try to find my place with chaptering it does the same thing.  Six shows I have not seen the end of because I could not find my place.

Recording.  I tried to record a show and the 'record' would not turn on.  It kept telling me that I could not record previous shows.  I hit the OK button and found that according to the DVR I was still on the previous show, even though I was by now 8 minutes into the next show.

I noticed that when these problems happen the TIMER seems to be nuts.  Every time it hits a commercial the timer stars all over again. Halfway through the show it is still resetting itself to 0 and I have an hour of watching left, then it skips to the end and I have NOTHING to watch.

It seems that this 'upgrade' was not thoroughly tested, which I think is a shame and now your customers have to struggle with  the fixes.

I'll repeat, It happens on 2 HDDVR's, both 7216s, and 2 different remotes.  I have not yet tested the skip and fast-forward function on the 3 older STBs I Have nor have I tested it on the HDSTB we have.  I am too confused, frustrated, and upset to go any further.

0 Likes
oct22741
Enthusiast - Level 2
I find it hard to believe this isn't a widespread problem. My DVR worked perfect before the upgrade, but now I've had the thing stop allowing me to use the DVR and Guide functions 3 times. Basically the TV still works,but I can't do anything. Guide and DVR menus won't come up, pause and other buttons stop working as well. It also totally locked once and just rebooted on it's own. Every time I have to reboot to restore functionality. I believe I have one of the newer DVR's = Motorola 7232. I haven't called yet, but I am extremely unhappy.
telebears
Enthusiast - Level 3

Amen, you and me both. i've had a hard time getting any kind of satisfactory explanation. I feel like Verizon ovbiovusly does not really care much about their customers experience. I couldn't be unhappier as well. 

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

At least one of the problems mentioned is known and fixed in the release to follow.  However Horrible experience widespread.  Depends on how you define WIDESPREAD.  Are most people seeing most or all of these.  Absolutely not.  Probably in very low percents if that much.  Could it being occuring in many areas possibly, perhaps related to STB/DVR boxes and TV combinations.

0 Likes
yalvertos
Enthusiast - Level 1

HORRIBLE for me too, since the upgrade was made about a week ago.

And I am using a new DVR, which I got two months ago because it had the additional disk space for HD recording.

I tried to reset the DVR, no improvement.

What helps is to downgrade the guide to SD, which speeds up the graphics, but you lose real estate. But at least some of the delayed reaction goes away.

Poor job Verizon!

terifrancis

I have to agree with those who have had a bad experience with this upgrade.  I was a very happy and satisfied customer for the past 3 years -- no problems at all.  Now, nothing works ... or if it does, I haven't figured out how yet.  The new guide is just awful!  The contrast is terrible and difficult to read for old eyes like mine.  It takes up way too much room.  Half of the button functions on my remote no longer work. I can't check my recorded shows because the DVR function now takes me to "Widgets" !!!!  I was on the phone for almost an hour waiting to speak to someone in tech support, who basically told me there'e nothing they can do from their side. 

I'm  pretty frustrated at this point and I'm very disappointed with Verizon over this issue.  I have raved about Verizon Fios to all my friends and family who use a competitive service.  If this is what we can expect from Verizon Fios TV in the future, I won't be renewing with them in the future.  Very saddened about losing a service that I loved and found very reliable before this. 

0 Likes
GeorgiaR51
Enthusiast - Level 1

I didn't have any issues with the roll out...just that the Caller ID didn't work on the 6216 and the guide looked different and lacked the options that the box in the family room (7100) did.  But I didn't have any issues that some people are talking about with the 6216.  My problem came today when the 7216 box came that I ordered on Monday to replace the 6216 (uprgraded to multi-room DVR),.Can't access some channels using the guide (code 8801, Channel Unavailable comes up)and when I  press B to troubleshoot, it wants me to update my parental control Pin#, but ( can access all the channels if I use the channel +/- button.  And when I first accessed the DVR tonight, it asked me to name the STB.  When I selected Living Room, it said that name was already being used.  But it recorded Survivor and  the TV in my room showed it being recorded as well.  Having said all that, I'm still very satisfied with FiOS,  I would never go back to Comcast.  A friend has Comcast and I was over there the other night and their guide looks like Verizon's did when I first got FiOS 5 years ago.

0 Likes