Re: On Demand Has been Hacked for Months
logan81
Contributor - Level 3
I know you have been through everything and understand your frustration. I am outside the situation obviously but I was just curious about something, do you use Verizon provided remotes or do you use a universal remote like a logitech remote? Only reason why I ask that is because I have seen situations where a remote with control two boxes in the house at the same time. One person I was helping had a logitech remote that was purchasing programs on her other STB. I am not representing Verizon and I am not a Verizon employee. Just trying to help because it is highly unlikely that your STB's are hacked. Even if somebody could do that remotely they wouldn't have a way to view those programs so there would be no point to them doing it.
0 Likes
drsunshine1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate your comments about our level of frustration.  It's been a very long six months of unnecessary effort and time. I've handled every customer service issue for our family for 30+ years ... I was a customer service supervisor for a very large corporation for 20+ years ... and I have never experienced such an ineffective process or had such a negative experience as I've had trying to resolve this issue with Verizon.  To your question ... we've never used a global remote.  We have always used a Verizon-provided remote for each TV in the house.  I'm not versed in the technical aspects, so I have no way of knowing how or why these items were charged to our account.  All I know is that we did not order them. Also, I've had multiple conversations with multiple Verizon IT Support tech's ... and each of them confirmed that EVEN IF ( I apologize for the caps ) someone accidentally ordered a movie, that they would ALWAYS receive a "Do you really want to order this?" message that would then have to be clicked YES in order for the item to be ordered/rented.  This never happened on any of the many movies charged in error on our account.  And it never happened for the sports package that appeared in error on our account.  And it also never happened for the 4 months of Spanish Language feature that just appeared on our account. All I know is that we didn't order a single one of these items ... and that it started occurring in April when the Promotional Ad Screens started popping up automatically.  I have been researching this for quite a few months and have found many, many other people ( on Verizon's own website as well as on many other consumer complaint sites ) who are experiencing the identical issue.  For Verizon Rep's to state each time I called with a new issue  "We've never heard of this happening before ... SOMEONE in your home must be ordering these items! ... may I help you with parental controls?" proves they are not being forthright ... perhaps not with their own rep's ... definitely not with their own customers. At this point, I'm just glad the charges have been refunded, but am holding my breath for next month's bill.  Again, I truly appreciate your questions re: the remotes .. if that had been the case, it would certainly have saved me a lot of time.  I hope your post will help other customers. 🙂  

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3
Sounds like you did your due diligence for sure. Glad they refunded you. One quick thought. If you wanted to avoid all future problems you could have Verizon remove the VOD service from your account. I don't know if you use VOD very often but if you don't use VOD you could have it completely removed from your account. it wouldn't save you money on your bill. But that is just a last ditch thing I can think of to fix the problem if it keeps happening. Hopefully it doesn't keep happening. I do not work for Verizon but I work closely with there tech support agents and I have asked them they seem genuinely unaware of any kind of VOD hacking going on. Again I don't see how such hacking would benefit a hacker.
0 Likes
drsunshine1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, we do use the VOD feature and have paid for every single item we've ordered.  And yes, having VOD removed was one of the only two options Verizon offered ( that and replacing the two "offending" set-top boxes ).  Sad state of affairs when a company is suggesting the removal of one of their own features.  If the issue continues to occur, I seriously doubt I'd remove VOD ... I'd more likely cancel Verizon and move my business elsewhere.  Too bad, because we really enjoy the actual Verizon FIOS service itself.  Billng and Customer Service, not so much.  🙂   So, once again I thank you for this last-ditch suggestion.  You seem very sincere.  Verizon is lucky to have you as a supporter ... I'm sure there are many customers you've helped.  Take care ...

0 Likes
akent1

I was truly disappointed as a long standing Verizon customer with the poor support service I received this afternoon. Upon reviewing my bill, I noticed two charges for PPV on my bill that I know I had not ordered. I verified on my set-top box that the PPV ordering code was still in place and confirmed with my wife that she had not ordered either item. The first support rep on the phone said she looked in the system and it showed the PPV were ordered from my set top box and that nothing could be done. A 45-minute wait for a billing supervisor resulted in the same answer. It was only after I let him know that I would pay my bill minus the PPV charges that he offered to open a investigation. Why wasn't that offered by the first representative? I would hate to leave for a different service, but I will not be bullied into paying for charges for something I did not order and did not watch.

0 Likes
My Video Rental Account has been hacked and Verizon Customer Service is horrible
Jayde1498

So I checked my bill recently and saw that it had gone up quite a bit than what it normally is. I called customer service and spoke to Heather {edited for privacy}. She basically started aruging with me and calling me a LIAR when I told her that it was impossible for anyone to have ordered that charge when no one was home. I could even provide our timesheets to show we were at work. I was getting so frustrated with her attitude that I asked to speak with a supervisor. Pat came on the line {edited for privacy} and he stated there was nothing he could do because their system shows that we ordered and watched the TNA Sacrifice (whatever the heck that even is) for the full two and a half hours. I explained that he could look at my entire history of the past 4 years of my service with them and they would see that we NEVER order stuff like this. He said there was still ntohing he could do. I am so **bleep**.Then I go on this forum and see that I'm NOT the only one this is happening to. There is a probelm with their systems.

0 Likes
Re: My Video Rental Account has been hacked and Verizon Customer Service is horrible
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jayde1498,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Re: My Video Rental Account has been hacked and Verizon Customer Service is horrible
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Jayde1498,

Since we have not heard back from you we are closing out your private support case. If you still require assistance please feel free to create a new thread.

-Amanda_M

0 Likes
AndrewK1484

Just found a $49 VOD charge for some wrestling event that I did not order or view.  Just like everyone else that has posted, I called customer service and they would not remove the charge.  I have never experienced such poor customer service.  Verizon must know that there is a security vulnerability and instead of addressing the problem they are penalizing their customers.  I am on auto payment through a credit card so I initiated a chargeback for the $49 and now I am getting notices that my payment was returned by the bank.  I've never had to do a charge back before - thanks Verizon.  After I finish this note I will lodge a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

0 Likes
Re: Hacked Video Rental Account
Lyn21

I was also charged for 5 Adult movies that we did not rent. I can not make anyone at Verizon believe me. The said that I had to have done it. Really? If I had done this I would willing pay for it, and not discuss with anyone. Duh! This all happened two days after they installed my service. The box that they say it was rented on. There wasn't even anyone in the room all that day. They said it was impossible for anyone to hack into it. But they were sure willing to send me a new box. I have never been treated like this before. Thinking about going back to my old cable company. At least they never acussed me of lying to them. What ever happened to good customer service?? This {word filter avoidance}cost alot of money!!! Let's not forget they promise you a $300.00 gift card when you pay your bill on time, and 90 day's of service. Kinda hard to do when they just keep charging for things you aren't responsible for. Seems like a trick bag to me..........

0 Likes