Hardware related audio and video problems
perrydigm

I've been experiencing ongoing but intermittent video pixelization and freezing as well as periodic audio interruption. Both can occur on any channel at any time and last anywhere from 2-5 seconds. The video and audio problems don't necessarily occur simultaneously. Video and audio are being fed from the HDMI connection. I have the 7216 with Home Media, a 7216 without Home Media, and a 7100. These issues never happen on the 7100 (since it's not a DVR, surprise surprise).

I've seen many posts on this subject but no resolutions. The response is always the same... experiment with some settings, reset, cold reboot, etc. Has any of this ever actually worked for anyone?

Can anyone offer any real help here?

0 Likes
Re: Hardware related audio and video problems
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@perrydigm wrote:

I've been experiencing ongoing but intermittent video pixelization and freezing as well as periodic audio interruption. Both can occur on any channel at any time and last anywhere from 2-5 seconds. The video and audio problems don't necessarily occur simultaneously. Video and audio are being fed from the HDMI connection. I have the 7216 with Home Media, a 7216 without Home Media, and a 7100. These issues never happen on the 7100 (since it's not a DVR, surprise surprise).

I've seen many posts on this subject but no resolutions. The response is always the same... experiment with some settings, reset, cold reboot, etc. Has any of this ever actually worked for anyone?

Can anyone offer any real help here?

Have you tried switching to component (3 wire video red, blue, green)?  You will still get 1080i resolution (max that Verizon STB can deliver).  You may be suffering from the "HDMI Handshake" issue (try searching for that as it does "solve" that problem).  And yes, it is a bandaid not a true solution.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Keyboards suggestion of the component cables is likely to be the best one.

Many TV's have issues with the HDMI used by Motorola/Verizon. Now it being a DVR is not likely to be an issue. Really the only main difference between your DVR and HD box is the harddrive. Now it could be a bad drive since it does run a buffer and that could be giving you your audio/video issues. But the HDMI is the more likely issue.

It could also be any of the connections between the DVR and the main splitter. Since your other box does not have a problem it is not likely to be the spitter itself or the main line. So the connection to the splitter and the run to the DVR are the places to focus.

The problem is that there are many things that can cause those symptoms and the only way to fix it is to start with one possiblity and work your way down until it gets fixed. This can sometimes be long and tedious but its really the only way to solve the issue.

0 Likes
perrydigm

Thanks, but it's not HDMI related. BTW, the 7100 has now started exhibiting the same issue. One box is HDMI exclusively (7216 without Home Media), another is component exclusively (7100), and the other is component and HDMI (7216 with Home Media) (I switch to HDMI when I want to use the receiver and get Dolby Digital or DTS; otherwise, it's component). The pixelization, momentary freezing, and/or audio dropping happens regardless of which connection I'm using, which seems to point to the signal itself or something other than the cables.

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

"pixelization and freezing as well as periodic audio interruption"

Sounds more like a coax cabling issue or a bad splitter to me.    

I am a gambling man, and I'd put money on it.

If you want to see if that REALLY is the problem, then take one of your bad dvr's to the room with the 7100.   hook it up there, and if the problems magically dissapear, then you will know your problem is the wiring or the splitter to the other rooms,  if it doesn't and it follows the boxes from room to room, then it's the hardware itself.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I didn't see that the 7100 started doing the same,  that points me far more towards the splitter than anything else now.   Replace it.    pick up one that is 1ghz  or 1000 mhz and higher, and see if the trouble still exists, or reach out to verizon and have them roll a truck if that splitter is innacessible to you.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

... and make them good high quality splitters.  A lot of the imported junk (even though it has a 1000mhz rating) doesn't do a very good job of properly splitting the signal.  

The real way to test (although quite inconvenient) is to have the box as close as physically possible to the ONT with no splitters other than the one need to bridge in the internet router.  If the problems disappear, you have a bad cable or splitter.

0 Likes