Having Fios Tv Problems
NWolf84

I have had Fios Internet and Tv for 2 weeks. The internet is pretty solid altho it does cut off from time to time. The Main issue i'm having is with Fios Tv. I have three TVs setup for Fios, one hd box, and two regular boxes. While wacthing Tv with the hd box the picture glitches often during regular viewing and some channels will not even work  that are supposed to. While watching on demand programs the shows will glitch and  stop working abbrubtly.  The other two regular boxes we have constiently say that they are offline. Programs constianly glitch and many channels will not work. On demand will not work, as well as the program guide. The box itself is also very slow to respond to the remote control. Programs that are recorded (in non hd) on the hd dvr box will not appear on the other boxes. Ive tried to call Verizon several times with the majority of the time they will bounce me around person to person until eventually hanging up. The time i was able to get thru to Verizon they tested all of the boxes and said that the signal was good to all the boxes. While i do love the Fios Tv service when it does occasionally work, this issue has been extremely frusterating. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Having Fios Tv Problems
Hubrisnxs
Legend

when the problem happens, stay on the channel and immediately hit the menu button, go down to customer support and then choose in home agent and finally network diagnostics.   start the diagnostics by pressing ok, and when it is finished make sure to hit info on the remote.    You will see a message that says something to the effect that your video signals are xxxxxxx and that your in band SNR DB = a number.       what is your DB when the problem is happening? 

it should be 32 - 36  

if it's below that, then you have a bad coax connection from the wall in that room to the back of the cable box.  you can usually unhook it from the wall jack or splitter,   and then reconnect it nice and snug,   also do the same at the back of the cable box (should be labeled either FiOS tv in or RF in)     after you do that, retest and see if the number jumped up at all.   if it did, then you found your problem, and if it happens again or often then you should consider replacing it.

if it that number stays at 32 or below, and doesn't jump up at all then it's quite possibly a bad coax cable, start by replacing it.  the cables are reasonably inexpensive and if you buy them from www.monoprice.com they are DIRT cheap.    tri or quad sheild RG6 coax cable is what you would want.    

0 Likes
Re: Having Fios Tv Problems
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Hubrisnsx points out, cable plant is usual cause of this issue.   Digital signals require a good quality coax to function consistently -- and the pixelization, dropouts, and non-functioning of boxes (as well as the internet "dropout" you describe) are all signs of bad coax.

You don't say how old the house is or how old the coax wiring is or the quality of it.   I have a house that was built in 1987 and my upstairs coax runs on older coax have lots of issues with the high frequency requirements of some TV channels and Internet.   I replaced the main feeder cable for the upstairs runs with new quad-shielded coax and it works much better now.'

Easiest way to test this out is to simply get a length of high quality coax and home run it from the ONT to the TV STB (across the floor, up the stairs, etc.) and see if the behavior changes.  If so, then a bad coax cable plant is the culprit.   Other thing you'll want to look for are bad splitters -- many older splitters were not graded for digital frequencies and some even filter out the higher frequencies (at or above 900mhz) -- you can't have this in your system, you need to have splitters graded for digital cable use (at or above 1000mhz).

0 Likes