Hertz
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

When I power on my Samsung LED TV and the 6416 box the TV will show the connection and it says 60htz.  Is the 6416 only capable of supporting 60?  My TV is cabable of 120htz.  I am connected between the two on HDMI.

Thanks

Jim

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Hertz
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@jumpin68ny wrote:

When I power on my Samsung LED TV and the 6416 box the TV will show the connection and it says 60htz.  Is the 6416 only capable of supporting 60?  My TV is cabable of 120htz.  I am connected between the two on HDMI.

Thanks

Jim

Your TV does 120 Hz by an internal to the TV software algorithm that interpolates data to create information for the "extra" frame information.  No cable box or transmission (that I am aware of ) is at 120 Hz (frames per second from a flat panels standpoint).  There are now sets out there that interpolate at a 240 Hz rate, but again that is only the TV, not the source. 

Everything greater than the 60 Hz source material is "faked" by the set.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Thanks

Jim

Your TV does 120 Hz by an internal to the TV software algorithm that interpolates data to create information for the "extra" frame information.  No cable box or transmission (that I am aware of ) is at 120 Hz (frames per second from a flat panels standpoint).  There are now sets out there that interpolate at a 240 Hz rate, but again that is only the TV, not the source. 

Everything greater than the 60 Hz source material is "faked" by the set.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Thanks for the info.  Makes sense!!!!  I guess its the same thing as 1080.  I hear that everything is recorded in 780.

Jim

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Makes sense!!!!  I guess its the same thing as 1080.  I hear that everything is recorded in 780.

Jim

Actually, much of the HD source material is 1080p-24 (1080 progressive at 24 frames per second - at least for movies) and is transcoded to 1080i for broadcast (saves bandwidth).  IIR ESPN and FOX send in 720p and the DVR records in whatever resolution it comes in at (480i for SD, 720p or 1080i for HD) if that's what you mean by what everything is recorded in.

Glad to help clear up the confusion on the 120 Hz stuff.

0 Likes