Home Media DVR Dead?
matt1122
Enthusiast - Level 2
Recently, my DVR STB has been exhibiting the following problems:

Live TV gets pixelated, jumpy, or freezes.
Recorded TV skips around and has the same issues as above.
Sometimes, while playing recorded TV the image will freeze at a certain point in the recording. If I try to skip past it, I can, but if I try to fastforward or rewind through the freezing point, it won't budge.

I tried swapping my DVR and non-DVR boxes between rooms, and it seems like the problem travels with the box. Is there any sort of reformat I can do on the box or it's storage, or does the box definitely need to be replaced?
0 Likes
Re: Home Media DVR Dead?
VZ_Kevin
Contributor - Level 2

Before formatting the DVR, I would recommend double checking the jack. Connect a different STB to it and see if live TV is pixelating on the same channels as on the DVR.

Since you said it's pixelating on both live TV and recorded, I would lean more towards interference on the line.. if the DVR is recording pixelation then it will always play back pixelation, regardless of the location of the DVR.

Here are the instructions to format the DVR HD (this will erase _all_ recordings and schedules):

1. Access the diagnostics menu

• With the STB turned on, press Power, Select, Select on the STB front panel (Power, OK, OK on the remote)

2. Within 5 seconds, pressed Replay, DVR, DVR, DVR, FiOS TV on the remote (Replay is the curled arrow pointing left)

3. After a button press the STB front display should read "Clr" . Exit and the STB will reboot, clearing the hard drive

matt1122
Enthusiast - Level 2
For clarification, this only happens on my Home Media DVR box and it happens for live TV no matter what room I put it in. This does not happen on my non-DVR box. If I tune them both to the same channel when I'm getting scrambled signal on the DVR box, the other box shows the perfect picture and has no issues.

I called tech and they sent me a new box, replacing my QIP 7216 with a 6416-2. The same thing now happens on the new box. It especially seems to happen on SyFy. It will be showing fine on the non-DVR box and then the DVR box barely plays the live channel if at all. I'm really at a loss here.
0 Likes
matt1122
Enthusiast - Level 2
PS thank you for trying to help, but yes - it happens in both rooms/on both lines, but ONLY if the DVR is in that room/on that line. Even replacing the box didn't fix the problem.
0 Likes