Home Theater Audio issues
Shasta85

I've been having a lot of issues with crackling/popping on my center channels during action scenes with most movies.  This has mostly occured during action scenes (gunshots, explosions, etc) [Mostly on the HBO/Cinemax Channels, but others as well].

I would usually chalk this up to the receiver/set-up issues; however, I've watched the same movies using the On-Demand feature and they sound perfect during these scenes (for example, gunshots on Die Hard will be horrendous and crackle during its braodcast; but watching it On-Demand it sounds great). 

My question, is the issue my box?  I've eliminated my equipment so it has to be some kind of Verizon issue. 

I'm using the QIP7100 P2 STB. 

Does anyone have any suggestions to improve audio out of these boxes?  I'm currently connected competely through HDMI.

0 Likes
Re: Home Theater Audio issues
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try using an audio connection other than HDMI.  HDMI can use copy protection (HDCP).  It could operate differently between live and on-demand, and your receiver could have a problem with the live mode.

Try a SPDIF or Optical connection.  If they work, then the problem is most likely an incompatibility between HDCP modes used by the set top and ones supported by your receiver.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Shasta85

I've connected via hdmi to the receiver with different cables and stb's, connected via hdmi to tv with different stb's and different hdmi cables; problem still exists.  I would highly doubt an hdcp handshake issue at this juncture. 

Update: Connected STB to TV directly w/o  surround sound; same issue.  This has to be a source issue.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Interesting.  So you've tried a lot of different combinations of equipment.  It seems the only common item is the use of HDMI for audio.  You may still want to try optical SPDIF just to make sure HDMI audio is not the issue.

The only other idea I have is to try a different make/model of STB.  You said you've tried other STBs.  If they are the same model then you haven't ruled out a STB issue completely.  It would be best if you could test a STB from a different manufacturer.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Try changing the Audio format in the hidden menu.

Use the FiOS remote and press STB Power once and then OK once and then Menu Once. 

The sequence should be STB Power > OK > Menu 

you should get a screen that looks similiar to this 

user settings

Then navigate to additional HDMI Options.

Select Audio output and switch it to L-PCM - I would use that one first, and then experiment with the other setting too.

0 Likes
Shasta85

I've been messing with those settings as well.  I've tried L-PCM and Auto; they seem to sound the same to me, at least through my receiver, and still getting distortion. 

I think it has to do with the SNR Value of the channels themselves.  Might need an attenuate them.  That is literally the only difference I can find between the On-Demand and live television versions (On-Demand being 0 db, live TV 42 db). 

I also had my router split off the same coax and recently changed it to another one; this helped somewhat and reduced the crackling for some movies, possibly the signal I'm receiving is too low. There is a Verizon tech coming out tomorrow, hopefully he can figure out the issue and see if there are some issues with the split.

Until then, I'll keep toying with the audio settings.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

What brand and model home theater system are you using?

0 Likes
Shasta85

System:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V471

Surrounds/Center: Definitive Technology Procinema 60

TV: Vizio E420VA

Connection Details:

TV to Receiver: HDMI (ARC and CEC Enabled)

Receiver to QIP7100 P2 STB

0 Likes
Shasta85

Nothing?

Is it possible my signal is too "Hot"?

0 Likes
Shasta85

Since FiOS is incompetent at their jobs, I'll be canceling.  Rather spend my money for a service that works.

0 Likes