Home media DVR very flakey...
thebottomline

I have had the home media DVR for some time, initially one HD DVR and one SD STB.  In that configuration, the SD STB could play all content on the HD DVR fine, it wasn't an issue (as long as it was SD content of course).  Since then, I have upgraded to an HD STB as my second box, still keeping the Home Media DVR.  Now when I try and watch content on the HD STB that was recorded on the DVR, it really doesn't work well at all.  My biggest issue is fast forward, at about 50% through your recording, you can no longer fast forward, when you do, it kicks you back to the beginning of the recording.  It makes it borderline unusable.  Anyone else see this kind of problem?

0 Likes
Re: Home media DVR very flakey...
jake5975
Enthusiast - Level 3
Known problem that many of us experience.  Wait until you get the "unable to locate HUB" error.  The MR-DVR is worthless at this point.  Apparently, 1.6.1 was supposed to fix the problems, but those that got 1.6.1 have reported the bugs still exist.
0 Likes
thebottomline

Does Verizon care, have they communicated a plan to fix this issue?  Will they issue rebates for the service until fixed? 

Up until I have been singing praises for FIOS but this is a serious ding...

0 Likes
SQUIDWARD360
Enthusiast - Level 2
I don't understand how they can charge for this service when they know it is broken. 
0 Likes
jake5975
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've asked several times on here if the delay in 1.6.1 roll-out is because they are figuring out a fix for the MR-DVR bugs.  All reports indicate the delay is only because of the audio problems with 1.6.1.  So I don't know what Verizon's plans are for a fix???

Are you paying for the service now?  The only saving grace is that I am getting the MR-DVR for free for 12 months (frankly, they should be paying me to use it).  It baffles me when a Verizon add comes on TV touting their new MR-DVR.  It's unethical to promote a service that clearly does not work.

I'm like you - very pleased with Verizon and referring it to friends and family.  But now, having discovered the buggy DVR service, I can't do that.

0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1
Well... I've called and complained about the buggy MR-DVR service in the past.  They did refund me 3-months of Home Media DVR service, but it's only the difference between the Home Media DVR and a standard HD-DVR which equalled a paltry $12 on my bill.  I'm certain this is why they are offering 6-months of Home Media DVR service for FREE to all new customers.  IMO, they should offer this to all existing customers as well since it is very annoying and leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.  I've already turned my parents away from getting Fios because of some of the issues I've experienced over this past year.  😞
0 Likes
sdchargers_fan
Enthusiast - Level 2

My livingroom has a 6416 MR-DVR (california 1.60 code) with 2ea 7100 HD STB's in the bedrooms.  We dont have the FIOS Internet, just the FIOS TV service.

I will say upfront, when directly viewing on the 6416 MR-DVR, I have never had any problems. Problems are always related to the remote STBs and their viewing playbacks from the MR-DVR. As for using the Multiroom DVR service, its been a pleasure when it works; 

- The "unable to find hub" problem (viewing from the HD-STB) has plagued me since the 1 month I have had the service

- Jumping to the end of a recording on a FF/Skip (viewing from the HD-STB) is also a very pleasant experience.

- On 2 or 3 occasions now, I have had to unplug/plug the AC power (on the HD-STB) to get it to work again for issues I cant recall.

- In the first weeks, I had issues w/ No Audio (viewing from the HD-STB) on a channel, and changing channels then changing back fixes this.

- Sometimes when I downstairs and tinkering (doing something like deleting a old recording) with the MR-DVR, I can here my wife's complain (hub problem) coincide exactly for when I am doing something administrative on the MR-DVR. Though this is NOT consistent, it has happened twice. It makes me think the the 6416 might have a little problem multitasking several of its functions like servicing itself, as well as the remote play sessions. 

The first call (1/28) to the Verizon tech had them doing the "reset" to the MR-DVR. This resulting in nothing but losing my favorites.

I just placed the second call (2/12), and received a good tech. She was knowledgable about the "hub" issue and box versions.

She stated that the 7100 HD STB used in conjunction with the 6416 MR-DVR (with the 1.6x code) is known buggy and recommends I change to the older 6200 HD-STB which she said does NOT have the "Hub" issue. I asked her for the practical feature/function difference between the 7100 and 6200 HD-STB's and she said none. She did mention something about the 7100 using 256K "M" memory cards vs. 6200 using 128K "Smart" cards. If I recall correctly, she said something about the greater memory being able to buffer the video better. Whatever.

In any event, I will downgrade to the older (last generation) 6200 HD-STB tomorrow and I will report back after a few days testing.  I hope this works and this info provides others with a viable alternative option.

0 Likes
rayjc1

@sdchargers_fan wrote:

I just placed the second call (2/12), and received a good tech. She was knowledgeable about the "hub" issue and box versions.

She stated that the 7100 HD STB used in conjunction with the 6416 MR-DVR (with the 1.6x code) is known buggy and recommends I change to the older 6200 HD-STB which she said does NOT have the "Hub" issue. ...

Sadly, this is not correct. The 6200 does indeed have the "Hub" issue - I see it on mine nearly every time I use it for a MRDVR playback. Many others have reported same. Guess "knowledgeable" is relative ...

0 Likes
jake5975
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have the 6200 series box and get the HUB error all the time.  That is some bad information you received, and again causes me to question Verizon's competence.
0 Likes
msnead53
Enthusiast - Level 2
Also have this issue.  MRDVR is useless because of it.  I've never seen the "hub error" but it constantly flips back to the beginning of the show.  I would have canceled if I wasn't getting it for free.
0 Likes