Horrible and dated Closed Captions
ednivi
Enthusiast - Level 1

The quality of Fios Closed Captions are horrible, look like from the 80’s, are slow and incomplete. They are by far the worst in the Industry. When I moved from Xfinity, this is a problem I did not expect.

Why are they so bad and are you going to fix this any sooner? 

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Horrible and dated Closed Captions
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ednivi wrote:

The quality of Fios Closed Captions are horrible, look like from the 80’s, are slow and incomplete. They are by far the worst in the Industry. When I moved from Xfinity, this is a problem I did not expect.

Why are they so bad and are you going to fix this any sooner? 

Look at Menu>settings>accessibility>closed captions and adjust to whatever works better for you. This has been an ongoing issue here and there are several threads if you search for them. Don't know if there is a solution in the works or not.

ednivi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have tried all the options available in the mentioned commands, but the options are old and dated. Fios needs to change its system to something competitive with Apple, Netflix, Xfinity, and any other streaming service with closed captions. I would like someone knowledgeable from Fios to address this soon. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ednivi wrote:

I have tried all the options available in the mentioned commands, but the options are old and dated. Fios needs to change its system to something competitive with Apple, Netflix, Xfinity, and any other streaming service with closed captions. I would like someone knowledgeable from Fios to address this soon. 

Is there any way your TV can create the captions instead of the Fios box? It might have better capabilities. I don't think captions are high on the priority list given some of the major problems that need to be addressed. There is a new update being sent out, APR 7.9 but I don't know if it has any fixes for the captions. Check your box under system information and see what APR version you are on.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

@ednivi wrote:

Is there any way your TV can create the captions instead of the Fios box? It might have better capabilities. I don't think captions are high on the priority list given some of the major problems that need to be addressed. There is a new update being sent out, APR 7.9 but I don't know if it has any fixes for the captions. Check your box under system information and see what APR version you are on.

I was just informed the Fios one renders captions in 1080 resolution and the 1100 boxes use 480 resolution. If you are using an 1100, that is the issue. You also might want to look at the TV's sharpening setting. Too high and it will add artifacts to the captions.

ednivi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you. I have for both TV's Fios One boxes. I insist this has to do with Fios software as when we are watching Netflix or Amazon Prime or any other streaming service, captions look great. I tried to use the TV captions, but have not found the way to use them when watching Fios cable. If anybody can show me how? 

0 Likes
VJWilly

Absolutely agree! I have spent way too much time trying to change various setting options for the CC, and it only goes from bad to worse. If someone out there finds a good combination of option choices that make the CC more like the previous Fios version (before voice control), I think many would appreciate it. Meanwhile, I hope someone from Verizon can do something about this issue. In todays world, this shouldn’t be this hard!

0 Likes
HbgDiver

I seriously doubt they will do anything from all I’ve researched online. I just switched from DIRECTV to Fios. DTV had great modern cc but had I seen Fios before I installed I would not have gone through with it. It’s hard to believe they are so oblivious to this apparent issue.  I will give it a few months and if it doesn’t change I will try Xfinity. At a time when companies are trying all they can to retain customers, you would think that someone would address this. By the way,  I have tried all the different settings   What a joke !

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!