How-To Order FIOS TV Local without STB
Lukeq

Can anyone give me advice on ordering the FIOS TV Local package ($12.99) without a set top box? All I care about are clear HD QAM signals (PBS, CBS, FOX, ABC, NBC, CW) that I already get over the air, and I don't want to pay the extra $4.00/mo which is the minimum  option that I can get through the form on. Basically my wife doesn't like my antenna. Sigh.

Called Verizon sales and the guy there was unhelpful. Talked to someone in their fiber optic service center who claimed that Verizon QAM wasn't supported without set-top-box... whatever.

Pittsburgh area.

Luke

0 Likes
Re: How-To Order FIOS TV Local without STB
Lukeq

Always fun to reply to your own message. I tried the online form again, and this time it didn't block me, it popped up a window warning me but let me through. Much better (maybe it's because I switched to chrome from Safari... who knows).

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

If you find a salesman that knows a little about it you should be OK but quite honestly finding one can be a pain. Most of the sales people are told that the Verizon system will not work without a cable box, period. Even though that is not strictly true, Verizon does require that there be at least 1 STB at each location. This is mostly for technical reasons. If you were to have a problem and dont have a cable box, Verizon would not help you in any way. You would be completely on your own. So in order to be able to troubleshoot problems, they need one cable box in order to test to see if it is something on your end or their end.

So while you can technically get the qam channels without a STB (although these are fairly limited) verizon will not install service without at least 1 stb in the house. (at least not without a fight, it can be done but its probably more work than its worth.)

I just noticed a report that comcast in Pitsburg is going to start doing the same thing next year. They are going to do away with their analoge broadcast and switch to full digital and start requiring STB's even for their base $8 package. So it looks like its going to get worse before it gets better.

0 Likes
Lukeq

Grrr... the form keeps dumping me back into the select hardware screen, after popping up a window that says

"If you currently have a TV with an internal digital tuner (called a QAM tuner), you do not need to order a set top box or a digital adapter to view our local programming. 

If you are unsure about whether your TV has a QAM tuner, we recommend adding a set top box or digital adapter to your order to ensure you have access to the local programming included in the FiOS TV Local package. 

Would you like to Order Now?"

Still working on it.

0 Likes
Luked

@spacedebris wrote:

If you find a salesman that knows a little about it you should be OK but quite honestly finding one can be a pain. Most of the sales people are told that the Verizon system will not work without a cable box, period. Even though that is not strictly true, Verizon does require that there be at least 1 STB at each location. This is mostly for technical reasons. If you were to have a problem and dont have a cable box, Verizon would not help you in any way. 

Hmm.. it seems like it should be illegal for them to advertise prices without an STB then... essentially there is no $12.99 service.

@spacedebris wrote:

So while you can technically get the qam channels without a STB (although these are fairly limited) verizon will not install service without at least 1 stb in the house. (at least not without a fight, it can be done but its probably more work than its worth.)

I finally talked to a salesperson (even though the website said I could order without an STB, the form logic wouldn't let me) who said that I could just return the STB if the installation worked without it, and it wouldn't appear on the bill. I guess that returning them is pretty common as people's TV types change, so there would presumably be a local drop point if I wanted to return it after the installer leaves so as not to fight with him.

My experience with installers has been pretty good though. They usually know much more about how everything works than anyone that you can get on the phone.

If it's true that they won't provide any tech support if there's no STB in the house, then I suppose I might just have to keep it around. The guy added the $9.99 HD one, which I didn't complain about because I was going to return in regardless. I guess that I'll have to call back and switch it to the cheap one.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Luke

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

I totally agree with you.  They should not force an STB

BUT...

They do have the $3.99/mo mini SD stb.  It can be used anywhere with a tv for sd only cable.

But if you need to order something to get the order in, go for that.

I was successful doing that when I first got FIOS, then just brought the box a month later back to the Verizon office and said I no longer needed it.  He said that leaves me with no STB, I said, that's ok, and he took it.

Now, I use 2 STB, but that was my last year's experience.

BTW, I get 53 channels (incl music choice ones) on my system as QAM without a box

0 Likes
Luked

@philhu wrote:

I totally agree with you.  They should not force an STB

I guess I've settled down a bit. As far as I can tell, the TV Local package is fairly new (at least here in Pittsburgh), so until recently everyone really _did_ need an STB to enjoy their package.

I am still annoyed that they advertise things like their Extreme HD package priced without an STB... seriously, $10 monthly is not insignificant. On the other hand, I suppose that many people get the DVR, so it's not that straightforward.

The installer is supposed to get here sometime in the next 2 hours. Unfortunately, my new TV didn't arrive yet, so I don't have a QAM tuner yet. I suppose that I have to take the box for now. I'll mark this thread as solved as soon as I successfully return the STB.

0 Likes
dilipb
Can you list the 53 channels you got? I have a sharp LCD and all i get is the local channels, bunch of community channels etc.
0 Likes