How can I check to see if i'm getting the signal I should be?
Jacen101307

Hello everyone, I have Verizon Fios for my telephone, internet, and television. I have to use many splitters through out my house because it has multiple levels and I was just curious if I am getting all that I should be when using the amount of splitters that I am. Here is an example of how it is being routed now, all of these are 2 way splitters.  I’m concerned about the internet signal and the Basement HD signal, I am curious to know if the internet is getting enough juice and if I am compromising the integrity of the basement HD, there is a whole lot of splitting going on. The thing that started my concern was when I changed out Verizons splitters to monsters 2G splitters, it made a huge difference of several of the televisions pictures, the kitchen went from a fuzzy, blurry, and pixilated picture to an enjoyable viewing level. If such a change was so clearly seen I wonder about my current set up and if it can be improved on the things that are the most important as far as I am concerned about as far as what I expect from my Internet and the main viewing TV. 

Upstairs bedroom 1 Dig. Box

Top floor           Splitter                                                                            Main floor bedroom      DIG. Box 

Upstairs Bedroom 2  DIG.Box     Splitter  

Kitchen television STB 

BOX                Splitter      

Living Room HDSTB

Bottom Floor       Splitter                                                      To Verizon provided modem

Basement            Splitter

To HDSTB

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How can I check to see if i'm getting the signal I should be?
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Select menu, help, self diagnostics.

It will display the signal being received, among other things..  I'm not sure what is considered poor but  I'm getting 26db which I'm told is good.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Jacen101307
So no one knows if having my internet connection at the end of 3 splits is the same as having it right  off the box or even if moving it to the the upstairs and just putting it on the first splitter makes a difference?  Would that also help the basement TV have a better picture? Does verizon send such a strong signal that it doesnt even matter? Anyone have any knowledge about how any of this works because I worry if  fios is like comcast in that each split is losing 25-50% of the signal, and if that is the case my internet really is getting less than 25% what is being sent to the box. Anyone?
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Ideally you should have all home runs to a single splitter.  That said, as long as VOD works and the guide information is working then you have a strong enough signal.  And yes, the ONT puts out a very "hot" signal.  Many are using an 8-way splitter and still have reasonable signals.
0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Select menu, help, self diagnostics.

It will display the signal being received, among other things..  I'm not sure what is considered poor but  I'm getting 26db which I'm told is good.

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

poor quality is below 19 on the OOB/SR reading on the Diag menu on the STB. Now to much can also cause pixelation as well 22-25 is about what you want.

0 Likes
Jacen101307

Ok Im getting 21DB so I assume that my Internet is getting the same amount, can I ask for a stronger signal to be sent ? If I remove the last splitter where the Modem and HDSTB are , place the Modem after the the first splitter instead of being all the way at the bottom will I be within the 22-25 range then with the TV and also allow the Modem more signal at the same time?

Edit* it isnt possible at this time for me to run all the televisions from 1 splitter as I have 3 levels to deal with, the ultimate goal that I have would be to get an 8 channel signal assist and have them run from there but I would need to get over 500-1000 feet of cable to have them run from 1 port and not go into my walls to rerun everything, so until Im ready to take down some sheet rock and make sure all the access holes through the outside of the house  are secure im looking for quick fixes. The cable being used in the top floor of the house is not even RG6, heck some is still RG58, and some is run undercarpet, through the attic , through the top floor dropped into the kitchen through a cabinet, etc so the organization of the cables being run is terrible which I guess I can thank the previous home owner for.

Message Edited by Jacen101307 on 07-02-2009 10:57 AM
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Jacen101307 wrote:

The cable being used in the top floor of the house is not even RG6, heck some is still RG58, and some is run undercarpet, through the attic , through the top floor dropped into the kitchen through a cabinet, etc so the organization of the cables being run is terrible which I guess I can thank the previous home owner for.

Message Edited by Jacen101307 on 07-02-2009 10:57 AM

I hope you don't really mean that the cable is RG-58 since that is 50 ohm not 75 ohm cable Smiley Surprised .   Hopefully you meant RG-59 which is 75 ohm and can work just fine if its sheild integrity is intact and the connectors are good.

0 Likes
Jacen101307
I dont know for sure but i know that its about 15 years old,  not quite sure if RG-59 was the standard then or if RG-58 was, either way,  thats some old cable. I dont use any STB boxes upstairs because for some reason using the Digital conversion boxes I get all the channels anyway and I dont care how they look, they are tube TVs and really just for guest that stay the night.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Jacen101307 wrote:
I dont know for sure but i know that its about 15 years old,  not quite sure if RG-59 was the standard then or if RG-58 was, either way,  thats some old cable. I dont use any STB boxes upstairs because for some reason using the Digital conversion boxes I get all the channels anyway and I dont care how they look, they are tube TVs and really just for guest that stay the night.

Just an FYI, RG-58 was NEVER a standard for cable.  It is the wrong impedance.  RG-58 is typically used for low to medium power RF transmitters.  RG-59 has been around a long time and is the correct 75 ohm impedance and as I said will work fine as long as it has a decent braided shield and the connectors are good.

0 Likes
Jacen101307
Ok good to know, now does anyone know the answer to my question about moving the Router to where the first splitter is to get more DB on the main TV and a better internet connection.  That will then cause my kitchen tv  to go below 19 DB but if it fixes the main TV from being at 21DB to where some channels dont even show up at times then i guess its something I have to do.
0 Likes