How do I get 16:9 Apsect Ratio for all chennels?
fblevins17
Enthusiast - Level 2
Just got new Fios DVR receivers.  I would like for my non HD channels to show in the 16:9 aspect ratio.  This was called "stretch" mode on my old comcast box.  Can this be done?  I know it may look a little distored, but i do not like the black bars on each side.  Does anyone know how to get the picture to stretch accross the whole screen?  Thanks.
0 Likes
Re: How do I get 16:9 Apsect Ratio for all chennels?
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Your TV might have its own settings to do that, but if you want the box to do it, go into the main settings menu. Power/Select/Menu and set 4:3 override to stretch. Try that.
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

First go into the HD DVR settings menu and make sure you have it set to 16:9 as well.

The instructions for doing this are in your owners manual for the HD STB and or HD DVR but here ya go.

In case you do not have a users manual you can download one in PDF format here;

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Receivers/User+Guides/User+Guides.htm

With the set top box plugged in but turned off and your TV turned on and on the propper input.

Press the menu button on the STB, the users setting screen should appear.

Use the up and down keys to highlite settings you wish to change and the left/right keys to change the settings

TV Type = 16:9

DVI/YPbPr OUTPUT = 1080i

4:3 Overide = Stretch

Exit this menu by pressing menu or the power button.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Joe01880 wrote:

First go into the HD DVR settings menu and make sure you have it set to 16:9 as well.

The instructions for doing this are in your owners manual for the HD STB and or HD DVR but here ya go.

In case you do not have a users manual you can download one in PDF format here;

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Receivers/User+Guides/User+Guides.htm

With the set top box plugged in but turned off and your TV turned on and on the propper input.

Press the menu button on the STB, the users setting screen should appear.

Use the up and down keys to highlite settings you wish to change and the left/right keys to change the settings

TV Type = 16:9

DVI/YPbPr OUTPUT = 1080i

4:3 Overide = Stretch

Exit this menu by pressing menu or the power button.

Minor correction (instead of undelined portion above). They changed it to require the following sequence:

1. Start with TV and STB both on.
  2. Power off (STB only).
  3. Press SELECT and then MENU
0 Likes
goalpost

Keyboards  you bring up a touchy subject. I have had  FIOS TV for three days now and have spent more time on phone talking to Verizon  than my entire family for 30 years.

I have the manual for the Box and it explains exactly what you said  to get to the Advanced Menu however Tech Support has been telling me  there is NO need to do that and it will not work on your box. They say it is all automatic and you should never have to touch that menu. Being an engineer I always question some body when they ask me why would you need to get into that menu.

So I am asking myself now  did I make the right decision as it appears  that 1/2 know nothing about  what they are talking about and the other 1/2 know less.

And I was so Excited  to hear my town finally passed  a resolution to allow  FIOS into our homes.

BTW  the box I just received is the older style 6416 box.

The saga continues

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
It's not automatic because you want to make it something different to fit your needs so you need to go into the menu to do that.
0 Likes
Re: How do I get 16:9 Aspect Ratio for all channels?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

My box is also a 6416 and I used that menu to set the screen type (16:9), the color space, and the 4:3 override.  In the V1.5 IMG (don't know if you have received the update to 1.6 - I haven't) changing the aspect ratio from the screen menu can cause the 4:3 override to reset to "default" which may or may not be what you want.

Unfortunately, support seems to be hit or miss if you get correct information.  I'm an engineer as well and have had FIOS TV for about a year and a half and fortunately have had only minor needs for tech support (although I still have a trouble ticket open from November 2007 - long story and not related to your question).

I have found the most help on a couple of different boards and after a little while you know who knows what they are talking about and who doesn''t.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 08-13-2008 04:16 PM
0 Likes
goalpost

Thanks for all the replies and I am sure the guys in the trenches will have the info I need.

They are however sending me out a new  box, guess they finally realized  my box  should be able to display the Menu.

Thanks again

Goalpost

0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1
  Good Luck!!
Message Edited by Joe01880 on 08-13-2008 02:34 PM
0 Likes
Just_helping

Goalpost,

Just to clarify, you have a 6416 (high def DVR)? Where you able to use the Power, Select, Menu option to get to the user settings?

This is the way to ensure the standard def goes to 16:9 and not get a "postage stamp" effect that happens when using the video settings on the main menu. Keep in mind that a standard def broadcast on a high def channel will still have the pillar bars on the side as it is transmitted this way.

cheers,

Shannon

0 Likes