How do I hook up an outside TV
Steve0815
Enthusiast - Level 1

I built an outdoor kitchen and installed a TV in it.  I have coax cable running from my TV to the Fios box on the outside of my house but I don't see a place where I can attach it.  Is there a splitter required or do I have to run the cable all the way through my attic to reach the splitter located there.  Thanks for you help

0 Likes
Re: How do I hook up an outside TV
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Yes you would need to go to the splitter.  Also keep in mind that there is no analog on the FiOS cable system.  If your TV has a QAM tuner (look in the owners manual) then you will be able to receive a very limited number of channels - your local broadcasts (and their sub-channels), the public service / government channels, and possibly a few others.  Almost all of the national channels (ESPN, FX, SyFy, Comedy Central, Dicovery, etc.) are encrypted.

0 Likes
Re: How do I hook up an outside TV
prisaz
Legend

@Steve0815 wrote:

I built an outdoor kitchen and installed a TV in it.  I have coax cable running from my TV to the Fios box on the outside of my house but I don't see a place where I can attach it.  Is there a splitter required or do I have to run the cable all the way through my attic to reach the splitter located there.  Thanks for you help

You could add a second splitter at a location closer than your attic.

You can split the signal of the coax leaving the FiOS ONT box, or if you have another STB or DVR at a closer location.

If you split the coax signal leaving the ONT box on the outside of your house make sure you use a good quility water tight connection and or locate all devices inside the ONT.

Make sure the splitter is bi-directional, and will handle the frequecies up to 1500mhz. The splitter Verizon installed at my place says 1000mhz but still works. Many digital cable splitters will do this. I have split the signal twice without issues, but have heard if you do it a third time there could be issues. Also if you have older coax RG-59 and not RG-6 there could be issues due to signal loss on the older coax.

If you want to split the signal of the STB or DVR inside you house, and feed your outside TV an HD signal, that would be different.

0 Likes