How important are DVRs?
Shabbis
Enthusiast - Level 2

With VOD offering additional content almost everyday? I've never had VOD in the past, so I am not sure what it is like, and if it truly can be a viable solution. I could see DVRs maybe still being required for live sports action for replays, etc. But I would think at some point almost everything would be available on VOD and you wouldn't need locally timeshift programming on a DVR anymore. Does VOD keep up with the most recent shows from the networks yet? Or is it just older content?

0 Likes
Re: How important are DVRs?
JohnSmith
Enthusiast - Level 1

VOD offerings are few and far between.  And it's been that way for years.  Plus the VOD interface is *very* sluggish.

VOD won't be replacing DVR any time soon, if ever.

0 Likes
Zoinks
Enthusiast - Level 2

A DVR completely changes the way you watch TV.  For instance, if you like a particular show, you setup a timer for it, and all new episodes gets recorded automatically.  Then, you get to watch it whenever you want to, not when it's actually on.  And you get to skip right through all the commercials. 

Sometimes, we'll turn a game on TV, hit pause, do some stuff for about a half hour, and then come back and hit play.  Now we have a half hour worth of time outs and commercials to skip through.  It dramaticallly changes baseball games  😉

If I didn't have a DVR, I'm not sure that I'd be convinced by these arguments, but once you have a DVR, you will never go back!

0 Likes
Shabbis
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know what a DVR is and does as I've had Tivo forever. I am just wondering if VOD will replace the need for DVRs in the future. I'd like to be able to sit down, turn on my TV and select a show from a list and just watch it. Let the providers store and deliver the content when you want it.

I also have an AppleTV, which does behave like VOD. I just browse the iTunes library from the AppleTV interface, select a movie/show and start watching it in HD. But same issue with AppleTV as many other content providers, the content is still somewhat limited or takes forever to get released.

0 Likes