How much macroblocking does everyone else see?? I believe I see too much.
jason9782

Hey gang,

I'll start this post with some facts.

1. I only watch HD

2. I have a 46" Panasonic plasma(bought last aug)

3. I have a 6416 multi-room dvr

4. all the wires in the house where installed by our fist cable company many years ago. 10-15 years I think.

5. I see macoblocking on live TV and shows recorded on the dvr.

6. I watched some recorded shows on the other smaller(34") tv and see the same thing.

I switched from comcast about 6 weeks ago in the hopes of getting better picture quality. That hasn't happened, in fact comcast may have been better. I'm seeing at least some macroblocking in just about every movie I watch  and on many network shows and on VOD. I have seen some on every channel I watch, shotime, max, hbo tmc and on and on.There are NO audio break ups though. The picture does not break up or stutter just macroblocking around things when they move too fast.

example 1 - I watched 3 episodes of tara on Showtime  hd on demand last night and all had occasional macroblocking. This occurred with pans and semi quick motion.

example 2 - I watched a movie called "28 weeks later" on either max or hbo. This movie had lots of it. One of the worst parts was when the 2 kids return to London and get off the train to meet their father, no one was running just people walking. Really bad. Lots of other parts had it bad too.

example 3 - on a movie called  "prey", about some lions attacking a American family in Africa . One really bad part is when the woman runs out of the jeep to get the keys and then runs back. Very easy to see. Lots of other bad places too.

the list could go on and on. 

Does everyone see this? Am I just too picky? I have been bitterly disappointed with my fios tv  experience. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts I would appreciate it. Thanks,

Jason

0 Likes
Re: How much macroblocking does everyone else see?? I believe I see too much.
prisaz
Legend
I hardly ever see any unless it is from the provider. Your setup may have connection issues with signal on the fiber. I would ask to have it checked out. My HD is great on a 46" LCD at 1080i. Pixelation or macroblocking is rare.
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-01-2009 06:35 PM
0 Likes
Markintx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I doubt if it is the FIOSTV source or your TV.

I have a Sony Bravia 60" LCD, a Bravia 50" LCD and 2 standalone DVRs and neitherTV shows any sign of blocking or pixelating.

I did redo all the house wiring to the sets using RG-8 to prevent any issues from arising. I would suggest starting w/ the wiring. My Verizon tech was able to check the signal strength and confirmed no issues w/ me at installation time.

Good Luck

0 Likes
jason9782

is sub standard wire something a verizon tech could check with a meter? Thanks,

Jason

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

'macroblocking' = pixelization = a cable connections issue

yes the Vz field tech can check.

0 Likes
jason9782

prey and 28 weeks later where both on again tonight. I check out some scenes i know where bad on a different tv and cable box. Same bad macroblocking. Each tv has it's own cable run, so I'm not sure if that eliminates the cabling as being at fault.

I'm seeing the same thing on 2 different tv's, 2 different model cable boxes and 2 different cable runs.

Guess  I'll have to call them this week.

0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1
I get no (ZERO) macro blocking, you need a service call.
0 Likes
jason9782
I took a few pics of what i'm seeing(yes I am that crazy ) Hopefully next week I can have some better after pics. I paused the movie for the pics. not all programs look this bad.

img27.imageshack.us/img27/1615/mb4t.jpg
img9.imageshack.us/img9/582/mb3.jpg
img9.imageshack.us/img9/1613/mb2p.jpg
img15.imageshack.us/img15/6756/mb1vop.jpg
0 Likes
jason9782
well the verizon guy came today. they sent an installation guy not a trouble shooter type. He asked what the trouble was and I told him I was getting macroblocking, he said macro what?? He had never heard that word before. He spent most of the time he was here talking on the phone to someone at the office trying to help him. Their own tech support needs tech support. i showed him some scenes I had recorded and he saw it. He had no clue what to make of it. He did check the signal strengths and changed out the all the splitters. He looked at the cable and said it was fine, it looked fat so it was fine. The guy he was talking to on the phone is supposed to come this week to further investigate. ugggg...the saga continues. he was nice enough just in way over his head.
0 Likes
jason9782
well the 2nd guy was a no show 😞
0 Likes