How to Display HBO MAX on FIOS?
lesrob

I am changing from Comcast to Fios, but a neighbor who already has Fios has a problem that puzzles  me. We have both just subscribed directly to HBO MAX using the HBOMAX.com site. Our expectation was that we could use our HBO MAX login credentials on Fios to access HBO MAX. In a recent chat with Fios, the agent was rather evasive but seemed to say that the only way to have HBO MAX display on his TV would be to cancel his current direct subscription and subscribe via Verizon. 
Is there any work around?
thanks for any help.

My friend has neither a ROKU nor am Apple TV. He has tried to screen mirror, to no avail. friend can watch HBO MAX ON HIS iPad but cannot

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to Display HBO MAX on FIOS?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have an HBO MAX account direct from HBO, Verizon has nothing to do with it.  You can use the login on any HBO MAX capable device.

If you subscribe to the HBO premium channel through FiOS, the subscription includes access to HBO MAX.  You can login to HBO MAX using your Verizon credentials.

Verizon set-top-boxes do not have an HBO MAX app.  If you want to access HBO content through a set-top-box, you need to subscribe to HBO (the premium channel, not HBO MAX).

If you have a smart TV, streaming stick, computer, tablet or other device with an HBO MAX app, simply use your HBO MAX credentials.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lesrob wrote:

I am changing from Comcast to Fios, but a neighbor who already has Fios has a problem that puzzles  me. We have both just subscribed directly to HBO MAX using the HBOMAX.com site. Our expectation was that we could use our HBO MAX login credentials on Fios to access HBO MAX. In a recent chat with Fios, the agent was rather evasive but seemed to say that the only way to have HBO MAX display on his TV would be to cancel his current direct subscription and subscribe via Verizon. 
Is there any work around?
thanks for any help.

My friend has neither a ROKU nor am Apple TV. He has tried to screen mirror, to no avail. friend can watch HBO MAX ON HIS iPad but cannot

Can he add the HBOMax app to his TV? Also I would think you should be able to screen mirror to the TV with the right apps.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have an HBO MAX account direct from HBO, Verizon has nothing to do with it.  You can use the login on any HBO MAX capable device.

If you subscribe to the HBO premium channel through FiOS, the subscription includes access to HBO MAX.  You can login to HBO MAX using your Verizon credentials.

Verizon set-top-boxes do not have an HBO MAX app.  If you want to access HBO content through a set-top-box, you need to subscribe to HBO (the premium channel, not HBO MAX).

If you have a smart TV, streaming stick, computer, tablet or other device with an HBO MAX app, simply use your HBO MAX credentials.

scoticus_rex1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So basically, if you have HBO through Verizon FIOS, you cannot watch HBO Max content on your TV through your Verizon set-top box because, contrary to what Verizon advertises, they do not support HBO Max. They don't have an app and there is no other way to get it through your set-top box. Your only method is to get a third-party device that does support HBO Max, like an Amazon Firestick, and logon to the app using your Verizon credentials (assuming you have an HBO subscription through Verizon). Verizon needs to stop advertising that they support HBO Max when they clearly don't.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@scoticus_rex wrote:

So basically, if you have HBO through Verizon FIOS, you cannot watch HBO Max content on your TV through your Verizon set-top box because, contrary to what Verizon advertises, they do not support HBO Max. They don't have an app and there is no other way to get it through your set-top box. Your only method is to get a third-party device that does support HBO Max, like an Amazon Firestick, and logon to the app using your Verizon credentials (assuming you have an HBO subscription through Verizon). Verizon needs to stop advertising that they support HBO Max when they clearly don't.

You can't add apps to the Fios one boxes, so you need a device that allows apps to be installed. VZ advertises HBO MAX because once subscribed through Verizon, your credentials will work on whatever device you install the app. Odds are he has a smart TV and can install the app on that, and use his Verizon credentials to login. Or a smart Bluray player, tablet that allows screen mirroring, Roku, etc. This is also the case with AT&T Uverse.

Stubbornoldguy

I have Verizon Fios, I am subscribed to HBO Max, but there is no HBO Max available on the set top box. I can get to HBO max via Roku, they send me a code to enter on the Verizon Fios site, but every time I do I get a message that says I have to subscribe to HBO Go. Spent hours with tech reps from verizon but everyone is very vague and evasive. I think it is a contract issue between HBO and Verizon that Verizon doesn't want to talk about. I'll figure it out eventually and let you know what I learn.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Stubbornoldguy wrote:

I have Verizon Fios, I am subscribed to HBO Max, but there is no HBO Max available on the set top box. I can get to HBO max via Roku, they send me a code to enter on the Verizon Fios site, but every time I do I get a message that says I have to subscribe to HBO Go. Spent hours with tech reps from verizon but everyone is very vague and evasive. I think it is a contract issue between HBO and Verizon that Verizon doesn't want to talk about. I'll figure it out eventually and let you know what I learn.

Usually the apps ask you to choose a cable cable provider site, login using your cable credentials, then that gives you a code, takes you to the HBO max site like https://www.hbomax.com/tv-sign-in or something like that, that uses the code that is provided when you login to Verizon. All this takes place on the device you are trying to login with. Since there is no Verizon app for HBO max, you need a device that you can install the app on. If you are having problems getting the code, get in touch with billing and have them reset your account.

Oschye

How do I get HBO max on my tv I

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Oschye wrote:

How do I get HBO max on my tv I

First, look at the green solution box. Next if you have an android based TV you can install the HBO MAX app on it, then use your Verizon credentials to login. HBO MAX does NOT exist on ANY cable boxes, it is solely accessed through an app that must be installed on a device of some kind, TV, Roku, Firestick, etc.

Alicott

I cast it to my “non-smart” TV using a Google chromecast device.

0 Likes