How to connect a VCR?
atikovi
Have a standard 2500 set top box and I'm looking at the Standard VCR cabling setup in the Support section under wiring diagrams. I've got it connected exactly as described with the cable from the wall going to the STB, the cable out from the STB going to the VCR and and cable going out from the VCR is going to the TV. I can put a tape in the VCR and it plays fine on the TV but I can't get any channels to come up on the VCR to record.
0 Likes
Re: How to connect a VCR?
matcarl
Master - Level 1
You'll only be able to record the channel you have on. The VCR should be on channel 3. Try that, if my memory serves me correct.
0 Likes
atikovi

@matcarl wrote:
You'll only be able to record the channel you have on.

The whole point of a VCR for me is to record channels when I DON'T have the TV on when I'm away from home.

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Verizon got rid of all the analog channels, so that's the only way to do it now. Maybe you should look into a DVR
Message Edited by matcarl on 06-19-2009 12:48 PM
0 Likes
DoctorJeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would recommend the following:

Step 1: Unplug your VCR from the wall.

Step 2: Unplug any other cables from your VCR.

Step 3: Take your VCR to your local Goodwill store and donate it, thus achieving a small charity tax write-off.

Step 4: Purchase a TiVo.

Step 5: Get a CableCard from Verizon, and insert it into the TiVo.

Step 6: Enjoy a device with dual HD tuners and a 1-TB hard drive that'll record 150 HD hours or over 1300 hours of standard digital.

If you have FiOS a VCR is pretty pointless. It's like worrying how to use a grammaphone with your MP3 collection. And to extend that analogy, the Verizon DVR is a $20 1-GB MP3 player from K-Mart, and a TiVo is a 80-GB video iPod.

0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

I feel so alone in thinking that Tivo's suck. What a dumbed down, tired interface. Why don't they at least make it true 16:9?

Verizon's DVR is fine, there is no upfront cost and it's easy to use. Yes, more storage would be nice but I am hopeful that is coming.

0 Likes
atikovi

@matcarl wrote:
Verizon got rid of all the analog channels, so that's the only way to do it now. Maybe you should look into a DVR
Message Edited by matcarl on 06-19-2009 12:48 PM

First off, I don't think I've seen mention anywhere in the FIOS brochoures that I won't be able to use a VCR. If so, why does it even show a wiring diagram of how to set up a VCR?

Second, don't they make some kind of converter? There was the big push recently with the switch of TV broadcasts from analog to digital to get converters out to the public with antique rabbit ear TV's. I'm sure more people have VCR's then the old style TV's.

Third, if I do connect a DVR, will I be able to record programs like I used to with the VCR? i.e. with the TV off when I'm not home.

0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

@atikovi wrote:
if I do connect a DVR, will I be able to record programs like I used to with the VCR? i.e. with the TV off when I'm not home.

Yes, except the recordings will be better and easier to setup. No more changing tapes, and the programs are recorded in the original broadcast quality. You can also record all new episodes of a series automatically.

Once you get a DVR, you'll kick yourself for not getting one sooner.

If you don't want upfront costs, try Verizon's DVR. It is fine for most people. Typically, the people that don't like it simply need more storage capacity than the average viewer.

0 Likes
atikovi
OK I'll install a DVR. This for my mothers house after she switched from Comcast. I already have a DVR and just want to make sure it will work with FIOS. I saw the high $20 monthly fee for the FIOS DVR and figure I can buy a DVR for about a years worth of fees.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@atikovi wrote:
  I saw the high $20 monthly fee for the FIOS DVR and figure I can buy a DVR for about a years worth of fees.

The FiOS DVR is $15.99 per month.  It is $19.99 if you want the multi-room option.

0 Likes