How to control two FiOS STB's in same cabinet?
dep2s

I have two identical FiOS Set-Top Boxes in the same cabinet, since each controls its own TV in my basement.  2 TVs, 2 Set-top Boxes.  The trouble is that since the two Set-Top Boxes are in the same cabinet, they both change channels anytime I use either of the verizon-provided remote controls.  Thus, any time I change the channel on the remote, both TVs show the same TV station (I'd prefer for them to be able to show different TV programs).

Is there any way to assign a verizon remote to a specific Set-Top Box?

Alternatively, I'd be willing to buy an aftermarket smart remote control (e.g., the Logitech Harmony 890), if that would help the situation.

0 Likes
Re: How to control two FiOS STB's in same cabinet?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

neither option will work. The problem is that both boxes use the same frequency. (in fact all verizon tv equipment uses the same frequency). There is no way for a remote to be programmed for a specific box. I cannot think of any solution to this situation. Maybe someone else will have an idea. Unfortunatly Remotes are not going to be your answer

0 Likes
ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tough one ... Motorola boxes all use the same remote codes, so there's no direct way to make the boxes operate independently.  

One way I can think of doing this would be to use two IR extenders like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA

This unit works by placing a small transmitter  inside the battery compartment of the remote which is radio frequency linked to the base station.   Whenever you push a button on the remote, it senses the remote codes being generated and relays them to the base station which repeats the IR codes.   There are two different models of this product (NEX1000 which works on 433Mhz, and NEX1000A which works on 418Mhz) -- each works on a different radio frequency -- so you need to make sure you get one unit/transmitter pair on each frequency.

Then ...

Please base unit "A" and the STB for TV 1 in an media cabinet where outside IR can't be seen by the box and put the transmitter for this unit in one of the remotes.

Please based unit B" and the STB for TV 2 in a different cabinet where outside IR can't be seen by the box and put the transmitter for this unit in the other remote.

Insure, of course, that adequate ventilation is being achieved while blocking outside IR front entering the enclosure.   Other options might be to somehow effectively block the remote sensor on each STB so that it can only see the signals coming from it's remote extender (there is a small IR extender cable that comes with each unit, so you might be able to rig something up such that it would only be necessary to isolate each receiver "saucer" and place the IR extender LED over the remote sensor on the box and using electrical tape or something block external IR from reaching the remote sensor.

Now, when you press the buttons on the first remote, it's signals will be relayed to the first TV's STB.   When you press the buttons on the second remote, it's signals will be relayed to the second TV's STB.   Remember that the IR transmitter on the remote itself still functions, but since the STB's can't directly see it, they will only react when the signal is repeated thru the transmitter link.

Assuming the TV's are two different models, each remote can still have the unique remote codes for that TV put in it.

Only downside is that you can't necessarily see the physical STB front panel itself.   That's probably not that big a deal.

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

I have 2 harmony 890 pro remotes

I use their remote extender, just like mentioned, covering the ir on the stb units.  Then tell unit 1 to send ir on port a and unit b to send ir on port b

Works like a champ!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Phil FTW!

0 Likes
6IMPS

ISN'T IT AMAZING HOW VERIZON KEEPS BURYING THEIR HEADS DEEPER IN THE SAND WHEN IT COME TO THIS ISSUE. IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY AND NOT SERVICE TO THE CUSTOMER. WHY ARE THEY THE ONLY CARRIER THAT DOESN'T OFFER AN RF REMOTE? THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU BECOME A MONOPOLY. MY WHOLE FAMILY HAS THEIR ELECTRONICS IN EQUIPMENT ROOMS AND DID NOT SIGN UP WITH VERIZON FOR THAT REASON. A SMALL COMPANY LIKE STATEN ISLAND CABLE WHO PROBABLY MAKES 1/1000000 THE MONEY VERIZON DOES HAS MANY OPTIONS. SIMPLIST BEING TWO DIFFERENT CODES FOR THE REMOTES. VERIZON WAKE UP AND REALLY SERVE THE PEOPLE. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over five years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes