How to get 14 TV set top boxes to work?
jsis

I have 14 set top boxes in my house, I get a pitcure on all of them fine which isn't my issue, my issue is the data. I always lose data at one or a few of the boxes which causes a lost of the guide, on demand, and interactive features, and it jumps around, it's not always the same box.

I have the new Quantum AC router and Cisco CHS335 set top boxes.

ONT to 3 way

3-way to router (-3.5) to 8-way "Splitter A" (-7.5) to 8-way "Splitter B" (-7.5).

Router WAN is ethernet, router coax comes out to an amp (Verizon issued PDI Amp) and then from the amp into the 3-way. 

One 8 way is at the ont and the other is at the equipment rack about 60 feet away.

Fios Router is linked to network splitter at the rack with CAT6.

Would adding another Quantum Router in bridge mode with ethernet link and the coax plugged into the 8-way "splitter b" at the equipment rack help?

If so should I put a POE filter on the 3-way where the coax to "splitter b" is to force all the bandwidth from Router A to stay at 8-way splitter A?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to get 14 TV set top boxes to work?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Therotically, provided everything is MoCA 2.0, you should be able to have 16 devices (counting router and ONT each as one then each STB as one).   If however anything is runing 1.1, then you could run into issues since that can only support 7.  Not sure on any Vz limitations on the number of devices -- for guide data you should certainly be able to get an IP address.  My thought here is that maybe you have some devices only capable of running or somehow falling back to MoCA 1.1 and then not recognizing anything above the 7 device maximum endpoint or able to interpret the faster data rates -- doesn't make a lot of sense, but if it's inconsistent behavior, that could certainly explain it.

You could try splitting the number of MoCA devices in half or even thirds -- I'm sure it's not supported by Verizon -- but would solve the endpoint issue.   The limitation on IP addresses shouldn't be an issue provided you're only looking for guide data updates.  You didn't say if you use On-Demand which would be the reason you would want to stay entirely MoCA to the router.

How to describe how to do this (without a picture) ...  

1. Install a LOPASS filter inline between 3-way and 8-way Splitter B.   This will block MoCA from travelling onto this segment of the network.  You can find this on that big A*n shopping site call MoCA "POE" filters -- relatively inexpensive.  Maybe consider even going to a 4-way and creating 3 STB splits.

2. Purchase a MoCA bridge-like an ActionTec ECB6000.    Connect the Coax side to Splitter "B" and the ethernet side directly to the router (same for the new splitter "C" if you go for thirds).

You could do the same for splitter "A" leg or even further split up the network so that no one leg behind a splitter has more than 6 STB's (in case something is running MoCA 1.1).  Each leg has to start with a MoCA POE filter and then use a bridge to connect the coax behind the filter to the router via Ethernet.  My thought here is that one or more of your boxes for some reason is running MoCA 1.1 and when it gets into that mode, it can't address anything above the 7 device maximum.

You're essentially allowing the TV frequencies to flow unimpeded while filtering off the MoCA signal and then re-injecting it past the filter using a bridge which is directly wired to the router via Ethernet.

Incidently, if there are no STB's left on the same unfiltered segment as the router once you get done, you could technically disconnect the router's coax and the Vz amp.

View solution in original post

frog87661
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon limited the number of stb that could get IP address from router at one time. They may need to issue an exception code in system.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Therotically, provided everything is MoCA 2.0, you should be able to have 16 devices (counting router and ONT each as one then each STB as one).   If however anything is runing 1.1, then you could run into issues since that can only support 7.  Not sure on any Vz limitations on the number of devices -- for guide data you should certainly be able to get an IP address.  My thought here is that maybe you have some devices only capable of running or somehow falling back to MoCA 1.1 and then not recognizing anything above the 7 device maximum endpoint or able to interpret the faster data rates -- doesn't make a lot of sense, but if it's inconsistent behavior, that could certainly explain it.

You could try splitting the number of MoCA devices in half or even thirds -- I'm sure it's not supported by Verizon -- but would solve the endpoint issue.   The limitation on IP addresses shouldn't be an issue provided you're only looking for guide data updates.  You didn't say if you use On-Demand which would be the reason you would want to stay entirely MoCA to the router.

How to describe how to do this (without a picture) ...  

1. Install a LOPASS filter inline between 3-way and 8-way Splitter B.   This will block MoCA from travelling onto this segment of the network.  You can find this on that big A*n shopping site call MoCA "POE" filters -- relatively inexpensive.  Maybe consider even going to a 4-way and creating 3 STB splits.

2. Purchase a MoCA bridge-like an ActionTec ECB6000.    Connect the Coax side to Splitter "B" and the ethernet side directly to the router (same for the new splitter "C" if you go for thirds).

You could do the same for splitter "A" leg or even further split up the network so that no one leg behind a splitter has more than 6 STB's (in case something is running MoCA 1.1).  Each leg has to start with a MoCA POE filter and then use a bridge to connect the coax behind the filter to the router via Ethernet.  My thought here is that one or more of your boxes for some reason is running MoCA 1.1 and when it gets into that mode, it can't address anything above the 7 device maximum.

You're essentially allowing the TV frequencies to flow unimpeded while filtering off the MoCA signal and then re-injecting it past the filter using a bridge which is directly wired to the router via Ethernet.

Incidently, if there are no STB's left on the same unfiltered segment as the router once you get done, you could technically disconnect the router's coax and the Vz amp.