How to get Fios devices connected to my TV in other room?!
lagflag
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in an apartment where the Fios device is located in the bedroom "inside the closet", while the TV is at the living room. I tried to subscribe for a TV package before and Verizon technecian said that he can not pass the cable inside the walls to get into the coax socket that is at the living room. Also there is no coax sockets at all in the bedroom and I hated the idea of passing the cables over the wall and be visible, so i cancelled the whole idea. I called the management company for the apartment and they said Verizon are the one who should do that kind of wiring while verizon says they don't do the wiring inside the wall!

any other smarter way to get my tv connected to my Fios device? somthing like wireless for examples? sorry if it is a stupid question, but I wish I could find a way to watch the TV, without seeing wires everywhere on the wall!!

0 Likes
Re: How to get Fios devices connected to my TV in other room?!
PJF310
Enthusiast - Level 2

why dont you just drill a small hole ( big enough for wire to pass thru ) in lowest possible point ( corners, if possible ) in rooms to connect cable?

If you ever leave the place spakle the holes up.

If VZ wont run coax thru walls tell them you will ( self install )

starrin
Contributor - Level 3

@lagflag wrote:

I live in an apartment where the Fios device is located in the bedroom "inside the closet", while the TV is at the living room. I tried to subscribe for a TV package before and Verizon technecian said that he can not pass the cable inside the walls to get into the coax socket that is at the living room. SNIP But I wish I could find a way to watch the TV, without seeing wires everywhere on the wall!!

========================================

Ever check the LR coax outlet to see if there is a signal, or trace it to see what sort of a system it is/was connected to connected to?  Why is it there?

How about powerlne adapters:  Amazon has them.

However, VZ may balk at an initial install using them, so you would have to accept the BR install and then do the rest yourself.

Another alternative to that of running then at lowest point as suggested would be to install them behind any existing molding at the bottom of the wall, drilling through rather then around corners, as suggested.  The thing here is that you would have to install the cable first, so that he could connect to it.  He won't take the time.  And if there is no space behind the molding you wind up having to notch the wall or router a channel on the backside of the molding

There are also companies you can hire that will wire to your spec, and could hide it, if you want to pay for it.

Both of these alternatives mean you leave the cable when you leave - for the next guy to use.

lagflag
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks starrin. The coax is connected to Comcast, that is all what I know.

It is the first time I heard about this powerline adapters! please execuse my ignorance!

I googled it and I understood that I can connect 1 of the 2 adapters to the router "which is at the bedroom in my case" the other to the TV which is at the living room. and this is will be the wireless solution! WOW sounds great.. or I misunderstood?

Where do I will need the receiver? will it be near the TV where the second adapter will be connected to the receiver instead of the TV then connect the tv to the receiver directly?

I am confused, but sounds like the option i was looking for. if you can provide me with some details, I would really appreciate it..Thanks Star

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The powerline adapters would only work for Quantum TV service. And you would still need to connect VMS (main box) to Fios device in your closet via Coax.

Any idea where Comcast line comes in to your apartment? Could try rerouting from there.

Do you get Internet from Verizon? If not, you would also need to connect router up as well.

I think your best bet is to try and find somone who will run the cabel you need for you.

Either an electrician or look to see if you can find a company that specializes in telecom wiring.

lagflag
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately I am not able to trace comcast line. there is not even a coax socket in the bedroom to start with.. Yes I have internet from Verizon, but that was the easy part since all i had to do is to put my wifi router inside the closet, and all the computers can receive it with no issue. I wished it was the same thing for the TV! Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

@lagflag wrote:

Thanks starrin. The coax is connected to Comcast, that is all what I know.

It is the first time I heard about this powerline adapters! please execuse my ignorance!

I googled it and I understood that I can connect 1 of the 2 adapters to the router "which is at the bedroom in my case" the other to the TV which is at the living room. and this is will be the wireless solution! WOW sounds great.. or I misunderstood?

It's not wireless.  Each unit plugs into an electrical outlet.  The signal is transmitted over your home's electrical wiring.

Where do I will need the receiver? will it be near the TV where the second adapter will be connected to the receiver instead of the TV then connect the tv to the receiver directly?

You take the cable out of the the adapter unit near the TV and run it to a splitter.  From the splitter one line goes to the TV, the other to your receiver, if that is what you want.

I am confused, but sounds like the option i was looking for. if you can provide me with some details, I would really appreciate it..

Go here:  tinyurl.com/kz3u4zd  and checkout all the questions being asked.

You can also google:  powerline adapters FiOS tv  and see what is of interest.

THere are some more leads at the bottom of the first page which may lead you to what you want.

You may find the answers to your questions.  THis setup doesn't always work.

But, the value of buying them from Amazon or Best Buy, you can always take/send them back if they don't.

Thanks Star

0 Likes
lagflag
Enthusiast - Level 2

That was valuable information! but as I saw in the picture of the product, this is an ethernet cable. Don't I need the cables goes into the splitter to be coax?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can connect the client boxes of Quantum via Ethernet.

But you need to have the server connected via coax.

But I didn't think you wanted to run the coax across the floor in the bedroom.

Did have a thought. You can put cable box in your closet and use this to connect your tv.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wireless-WiFi-Multi-Room-Video/dp/B005L9ZZ32/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2

May end up filling your closet with equipment if you have 2 boxes and the extenders for each TV.

They could run you $400 for 2 tvs which may equal what you would have to pay to get cable run in your apartment.

Good Luck

0 Likes