How to get the QIP-7216?
josst10
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would really like to upgrade and after calling twice now I feel as though I might as well be asking them ot do my taxes...they have no idea what I am talking about.  Anybody had any luck?

Los Angeles (Hermosa Beach), CA

Thanks,

john

0 Likes
Re: How to get the QIP-7216?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@josst10 wrote:

I would really like to upgrade and after calling twice now I feel as though I might as well be asking them ot do my taxes...they have no idea what I am talking about.  Anybody had any luck?

Thanks,

john

At this time there is no difference between the 6416 and the 7216 performance (both are HD DVRs with 160G hard drives and the same firmware).  Sometime in the future when Verizon enables E-Sata it will matter, but based on past performance and broken promises that will not be for a long time.

0 Likes
josst10
Enthusiast - Level 1

How about the ability for video to be streamed from my Home Server just as music now can?  That was to be included.  Otherwise, my box runs slow and is 3 years old.  It has a processor, hard drive, and networking capabilites that would have to provide better performance than 3 years ago, no? I would rather get a new 7216 box than a used 6416 box to deal with having to reboot after my screen turns green daily. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Video streaming is a function of the firmware which is the same on either model (at least at this time).  Supposedly the new version of the IMG (version 1.6) addresses some of the issues you raise.  Again, the reboot issues are not necessarily related to the model as opposed to the firmware.
0 Likes
josst10
Enthusiast - Level 1

Great info and thank you...All things being equal however, I prefer new hardware as opposed to 3 year old hardware as well as the eSata port which leads me to my original question of how I can obtain a 7216 box.  Can anyone tell me what number should be called so they know what I am talking about?  Are they only offered on new installs?  What is the rollout plan? etc...

Thank you
0 Likes
ericpd

0 Likes
ericpd

@Keyboards wrote:

@josst10 wrote:

Thanks,

john

At this time there is no difference between the 6416 and the 7216 performance (both are HD DVRs with 160G hard drives and the same firmware).  Sometime in the future when Verizon enables E-Sata it will matter, but based on past performance and broken promises that will not be for a long time.

Well actually, thee is one difference between the two that can matter now. The 7216 does DD7.1 and the 6416 tops out at DD5.1. For those with 7.1 systems, this can be a reason to actively search for one NOW! I have a 7.1 system, and I can tell you that I the sound is less than spectacular when I turn on the side left/right speakers. Normally, the Pioneer does a nice job of putting out faux 7.1 when fed 5.1 material. But I've noticed something funky with the sound after replacing the old DirecTV gear with the 6416. Maybe it's got something to do with the weird audio options on the 6416,... 'mono', 'stereo', 'surround'! With the DirecTV box, you had more options directly dealing with Digital/Dolby output. I don't really know,... but I'm guessing that 6416 is forcing something down the throat of the Pioneer that is causing the Pioneer's 5.1 to 7.1 matrix to hickcup. I'm hoping that with the 7216's DD 7.1 software, things will come out smoother.

I've called Verizon, about this. First I was told that there was no way to gaurantee the delivery of a 7216 over a 6416. But after several days of calling, explaining and complaining, I finally got to a department that is committed to finding one in my area. Yesterday, there was a swap visit, but the tech only had 64's. I told him what was going on, he called someone who was able to confirm my calls to Verizon and the notations on my account. Then he called dispatch (he says), and they thought that they located one. I am scheduled for another swap visit Monday the 13th.

There's a thread on dslReports that speaks of all the other differences between the two and possibly when some of the new features will be available. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@ericpd wrote:

Well actually, there is one difference between the two that can matter now. The 7216 does DD7.1 and the 6416 tops out at DD5.1. For those with 7.1 systems, this can be a reason to actively search for one NOW! I have a 7.1 system, and I can tell you that I the sound is less than spectacular when I turn on the side left/right speakers. Normally, the Pioneer does a nice job of putting out faux 7.1 when fed 5.1 material. But I've noticed something funky with the sound after replacing the old DirecTV gear with the 6416. Maybe it's got something to do with the weird audio options on the 6416,... 'mono', 'stereo', 'surround'! With the DirecTV box, you had more options directly dealing with Digital/Dolby output. I don't really know,... but I'm guessing that 6416 is forcing something down the throat of the Pioneer that is causing the Pioneer's 5.1 to 7.1 matrix to hickcup. I'm hoping that with the 7216's DD 7.1 software, things will come out smoother.

I didn't think it made any difference since nothing is currently being transmitted in 7.1 and I'm not sure if Verizon's firmware supports it (just like all those useless ports that aren't supported Smiley Sad ) even if the hardware does.  Any other benefits are dependent on future firmware upgrades which will come - who knows when.

As for the mono, stereo, and surrond settings, AFAIK those only affect the analog outputs, not the HDMI audio, coaxial, or optical outputs. Verizon's box does not do any processing on the digital audio signal other than to enable or disable (volume = 0 is disable, volume = anything else is on).

0 Likes
ericpd

@Keyboards wrote:

@ericpd wrote:

Well actually, there is one difference between the two that can matter now. The 7216 does DD7.1 and the 6416 tops out at DD5.1. For those with 7.1 systems, this can be a reason to actively search for one NOW! I have a 7.1 system, and I can tell you that I the sound is less than spectacular when I turn on the side left/right speakers. Normally, the Pioneer does a nice job of putting out faux 7.1 when fed 5.1 material. But I've noticed something funky with the sound after replacing the old DirecTV gear with the 6416. Maybe it's got something to do with the weird audio options on the 6416,... 'mono', 'stereo', 'surround'! With the DirecTV box, you had more options directly dealing with Digital/Dolby output. I don't really know,... but I'm guessing that 6416 is forcing something down the throat of the Pioneer that is causing the Pioneer's 5.1 to 7.1 matrix to hickcup. I'm hoping that with the 7216's DD 7.1 software, things will come out smoother.

I didn't think it made any difference since nothing is currently being transmitted in 7.1 and I'm not sure if Verizon's firmware supports it (just like all those useless ports that aren't supported Smiley Sad ) even if the hardware does.  Any other benefits are dependent on future firmware upgrades which will come - who knows when.

As for the mono, stereo, and surrond settings, AFAIK those only affect the analog outputs, not the HDMI audio, coaxial, or optical outputs. Verizon's box does not do any processing on the digital audio signal other than to enable or disable (volume = 0 is disable, volume = anything else is on).

You know, that's what I orignially thought. My receiver normally does a good job of turning 5.1 material into pretty convincing fake 7.1 output. Did a wonderful job with DirecTV's DVR. But for some reason, the side left/right speakers when hooked up to the Motorola are excessively loud, even when I turn them down at the receiver. I've just turned them completely off. Tech support told me what I'm posting here. Supposedly, the 7216 is the fix for my problem. Maybe the 64 is doing something to the audio stream that's confusing the Pioneer's DD 5.1 to 7.1 conversion software. I really don't know, and I'm taking care to not sound like I have any of the answers.I just know that the Pioneer did a good job of faking 7.1 when it was behind the DirecTV bo, and a terrible job when driven by the 6416. The side speakers are nearly as loud as the center speaker. I have to turn them way down of off in the Pioneer's on-screen menu to tame them.Also, tech support says this isn't the first time hearing of ths.

0 Likes
wild-turkey

I called Customer Service because I thought that the 7216 would be part of an upgrade I ordered.  I was told that the 7216 was not yet available and that it was still in the testing phase.  According to them the 6416 will do everything that I need at this time.

Also, from what I read on Verizon's site about the 7216, it will cost $4 more a month than my 6416.  I am anxious to know what additional features will be available before I plunk down more bucks.  Also, I think that I will wait to hear from other users about how the new model performs.

One of the features that would be nice is the ability to use the ethernet port for home networking.  So far this is not available.

Ron

0 Likes