How to pause for a long time?
moviefan

Simple question: I have a QIP 6416-2 DVR STB. How can I pause a program I'm watching (and recording) for an hour or more and then resume watching?  When I hit Pause on the remote, it only holds for 15 - 20 minutes and then starts playing again.  If I'm watching an NFL game, and the wife says dinner is ready, I want to pause/stop watching and then resume in an hour or so.

0 Likes
Re: How to pause for a long time?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
You can't.  Best bet is to hit record, change the channel to something else (so the other tuner is displayed and you woun't see the live game when you turn it back on) and then play back from the DVR after dinner.
0 Likes
moviefan
Well, that's a bummer! So when I want to resume, I have to go to the DVR, click Play, and then fast forward until I come to where I left off.
0 Likes
MikeyB
No, you won't have to find where you left off.  When you hit record before heading for the kitchen, it will start recording.  When you return and start the playback, it will begin where you started to record, at the point in the gamne when you left the room.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Not quite.  You should have up to the 1 hour buffer to FF through assuming that the beginning of the program was less than 1 hour before you pushed record.  If it is more than an hour after, there is a bug in the DVR that the recording will only start at the time you press record.

If you force the tuners to be on 2 stations that are not the one of interest (select 2 other channels), and then tune the channel you want, you have effectively cleared the buffer and the recording should start at the point you now hit record.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 12-07-2008 08:13 AM
0 Likes
MikeyB
So you are suggesting that the moment I hit the record button, everything in the buffer for that program is included?  That says that the DVR thinks I want it all even though the reason for the buffer info is that I have been watching it up to that point.  It is easy enough check out.  Maybe I am confusing my recent Dish experience where it does start at the record point.  Even if true, a simple resolution would be to change channels and then return to the channel of interest.  Buffer at that point should be empty, right?
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@MikeyB wrote:
....  Even if true, a simple resolution would be to change channels and then return to the channel of interest.  Buffer at that point should be empty, right?

Since you have dual tuners in the DVR, unless you are already recording something you would have to select 2 different channels before returning to the one you want to start recording without buffer.  Since both tuners are buffered just changing once and coming back doesn't clear the buffer.

0 Likes
MikeyB
Thanks, I will try it out.  Changing channels twice is still better than using FIOS anemic FF function to search thru a recording.
0 Likes
Media_Mike
First of all, I must say I second the suggestion to check out the forums for answers to technical questions before calling tech support. Just ended a frustrating call with tech support regarding the HDDVR pause capabilities and the rep couldn't even tell me how long the buffer was supposed to be. Is tech support not familier with their own equipment? This was a simple question, IMO. I have used both Dish and Direct in the past and know that their DVRs are capable of at least 60 and 30 minutes respectively before resuming play. Anyway, the tech leaves me on hold and after a few minutes comes back on the line and tells me nothing is guranteed over 10 minutes. OK, fair enough. I suppose I could live with that. The real problem though, is what happens when it leaves pause mode on it's own. Instead of resuming play from the point whre it ws paused, it jumps to live television. Sure, I can rewind, but if I am watching a footbal game and there have been two touchdowns scored while the HDDVR has been paused, I'd rather not know about it. I am tired of trying to rewind while covering my eyes so as not to see the score! Is this a known issue? Logic would dictate the DVR resumes from the point of pause, wouldn't it? I mean, that's how my other devices function.
Message Edited by Media_Mike on 12-12-2008 03:23 PM
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Media_Mike wrote:
First of all, I must say I second the suggestion to check out the forums for answers to technical questions before calling tech support. Just ended a frustrating call with tech support regarding the HDDVR pause capabilities and the rep couldn't even tell me how long the buffer was supposed to be. Is tech support not familier with their own equipment? This was a simple question, IMO. I have used both Dish and Direct in the past and know that their DVRs are capable of at least 60 and 30 minutes respectively before resuming play. Anyway, the tech leaves me on hold and after a few minutes comes back on the line and tells me nothing is guranteed over 10 minutes. OK, fair enough. I suppose I could live with that. The real problem though, is what happens when it leaves pause mode on it's own. Instead of resuming play from the point whre it ws paused, it jumps to live television. Sure, I can rewind, but if I am watching a footbal game and there have been two touchdowns scored while the HDDVR has been paused, I'd rather not know about it. I am tired of trying to rewind while covering my eyes so as not to see the score! Is this a known issue? Logic would dictate the DVR resumes from the point of pause, wouldn't it? I mean, that's how my other devices function.

The buffers are 1 hour long however pause only holds for 10 to 15 minutes (not sure which).  Yes they do jump to live when they leave pause (however the up to 1 hour buffer should still be there).  That is why the best bet (IMHO) is the record with a cleared buffer so you can just jump to the DVR menu and hit play from the point you want.  Also, I believe (not positive) that the pause will be broken if the program crosses the barrier to the next show according to the guide.

0 Likes