How to restart a program that has already started?
hpowders
Enthusiast - Level 1

On my previous cable TV system, I could restart a program after it had already started all the way back to the beginning, to see the whole program. How can I do this with FIOS?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: How to restart a program that has already started?
tns
Master - Level 2

I had only heard that Cablevision was doing this with its Virtual DVR.

Essentially with Verizon FIOS you can only restart on a DVR what the DVR has in its buffer.  If it one of the tuners happened to be tuned to that station (even if the DVR was off), you can backup to the beginning of the program if its still in the buffer.  One way to see if this is possible, without rewinding, is to hit record, then look in your DVR recordings and select the program.

Some days later you might find a program in the VOD section.  For some channels, e.g. movie channels, it may be already in VOD. 

0 Likes
hpowders
Enthusiast - Level 1

@tns wrote:

I had only heard that Cablevision was doing this with its Virtual DVR.

Essentially with Verizon FIOS you can only restart on a DVR what the DVR has in its buffer.  If it one of the tuners happened to be tuned to that station (even if the DVR was off), you can backup to the beginning of the program if its still in the buffer.  One way to see if this is possible, without rewinding, is to hit record, then look in your DVR recordings and select the program.

Some days later you might find a program in the VOD section.  For some channels, e.g. movie channels, it may be already in VOD. 

No. I don't mean with the DVR. Let's say I turn on a program at 9:17PM but it started at 9 PM. Is there a way I can re-start the program so I can watch it from the beginning? My cable company had a way to do this. Does FIOS?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

I already answered you. 

Were you with Cablevision?  Verizon is not recording all the shows for you so that you can restart them.

0 Likes
hpowders
Enthusiast - Level 1

What I am asking has nothing to do with the DVR. I had Brighthouse. For example-if I was watching NBC nightly News at 6:30PM but I turned on the TV at 6:55 PM, I could hit "OK" on the Brighthouse remote, and a menu would appear on the TV screen and one option was "start over". Had nothing to do with the DVR. So I could restart the program and watch it from the beginning, just using the remote, no DVR involved.

I don't believe FIOS has this option, because I press "OK" on the remote and nothing happens if I turn on a program after it has already started.

All I'm asking is if you watch a TV program on FIOS, is there a way to restart the program back to the program's beginning after it has already started. Nothing to do with the DVR. Thanks.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

The services that do this are recording the shows in a virtual DVR.  So start over goes back to the beginning of what they recorded.

Fios is not doing this as I already said.

0 Likes
hpowders
Enthusiast - Level 1

On Brighthouse cable it is called "Start Over" and gives the ability to restart certain live programs. I hope FIOS incorporates this useful feature in the near future. It has nothing to do with recording a program.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

As said they are doing a Virtual DVR.  Has nothing to do with you recording it, they are recording it.

The only ones you can do this with on FIOS are those in VOD.

0 Likes
hpowders
Enthusiast - Level 1

Maybe someday Verizon will do "Start Over"  too. They are all competitors and they all try to keep up with each other.

0 Likes
hpowders
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since FIOS doesn't have the handy "Start Over" feature, when I come to a program already in progress, I just set the DVR to record it. I've tried this 4 times and each time, the program is recorded from its start, no matter how late into the program it was. It's a more tedious solution than "Start Over", but it's adequate.

0 Likes