Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

How to transfer material from DVR to computer hard drive

cxg331
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

How to transfer material from DVR to computer hard drive

Message 1 of 8
(13,018 Views)

I'm wondering if there is a way to tranfer video from my FiOS DVR (Mororola QIP 7216 1) to my computer's hard drive.  My computer is an HP running Windows Vista 64-bit.  I'm particularly interested in being able to archive college football games this season.

If this is possible, will I need to convert the video format to view it on my computer?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
spacedebris
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Re: How to transfer material from DVR to computer hard drive

Message 2 of 8
(13,004 Views)

direct transfer, you cant. the DVR's do not have a way (currently) to offload to another device

However, if you have a video capture card on the computer, you can play the shows to the computer. Like hooking up a tv, and then use Windows media center to record it.

there are otherways that I'm sure that others here will know about, but thats the one I know of.

====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.
cxg331
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 3 of 8
(12,994 Views)

That should work.  RealPlayer and some others do capture video.

What is the best way to play video to my computer?  FireWire? Two-way USB cable?

Keyboards
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 8
(12,993 Views)

Firewire out of the DVR enforces a copy flag which may prevent you from copying.  There are no active USB ports on the DVR.

The original suggestion is a video capture card, not direct digital connection.  This would require an anaolg output from the DVR to be connected to the capture card input.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 08-12-2009 01:34 PM
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
spacedebris
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Message 5 of 8
(12,954 Views)
Yeah, like keboard said. My suggestion requires a link from the stb to computer. using same connections as a tv. IE. coax or A/V cables. This requires a special card on the computer, hence the video capture card I mentioned. Granted I havent tried this in several years so I dont know if there are new devices to add to the computer or not. But back when I used to do this, I had an ATI All in One Wonder card that had A/V inputs that I installed on the computer. This is kind of old school. I dont know if there is another way as I said, because I have not done this in a long time.  I just took a look at my laptop and it has an HDMI input on it. I'm thinking this would probably do it I'll have to read my manual (did I really say I have to  RTFM? Smiley Tongue   )
Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-12-2009 12:47 PM
Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-12-2009 12:48 PM

====================================================================================

CapnTrips
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 6 of 8
(12,952 Views)

@spacedebris wrote:
Yeah, like keboard said. My suggestion requires a link from the stb to computer. using same connections as a tv. IE. coax or A/V cables. This requires a special card on the computer, hence the video capture card I mentioned. Granted I havent tried this in several years so I dont know if there are new devices to add to the computer or not. But back when I used to do this, I had an ATI All in One Wonder card that had A/V inputs that I installed on the computer. This is kind of old school. I dont know if there is another way as I said, because I have not done this in a long time.  I just took a look at my laptop and it has an HDMI input on it. I'm thinking this would probably do it I'll have to read my manual (did I really say I have to  RTFM? Smiley Tongue   )
Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-12-2009 12:47 PM

Although I'm sure it's not impossible, I would NOT expect an HDMI INPUT on a laptop, but I would expect that HDMI port is an OUTPUT from your laptop (built-in Blu-ray drive?)
CharlesH
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Message 7 of 8
(12,942 Views)

I have a HDMI output on my laptop but it is only for Video, not audio.  I have yet to find a HDMI input on a laptop.  If you find one link me!

spacedebris
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Message 8 of 8
(12,728 Views)
yup, mine is an output.  Although the label on the side of the computer says input. I called gateway and they checked my serial number and found that it was one of a batch that had been mislabled. It says input but is actually an output. Smiley Very Happy So much for that idea. lol

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.