How to watch FiOS TV on a computer?
Jack19446
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will be getting FiOS Internet and TV installed next week.  I would like to watch TV on the computer.  I have an old analog TV tuner card in the PC.  Do I have to get a set-top box for the computer, or is there a way to access FiOS TV over the Internet?

My computer is running Windows XP Media Center Edition.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to watch FiOS TV on a computer?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Yes you will require an STB.  There are no analog signals on the FIOS TV feed, they are all digital (QAM-256).  Even with a QAM capable tuner you will only get the local SD and HD channels (as these are the only ones in "clear QAM") unless you have a newer PC with a cablecard capable tuner.

The cheapest option is the DCT-700 (also called Digital Adapter) for $3.99 / month.  Has no guide, VOD, or widgets and receives only the SD channels you are subscribed to (no HD cpability).  It has both composite video with L/R audio and RF outputs, but the RF output is mono audio only.

View solution in original post

Re: How to watch FiOS TV on a computer?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Yes you will require an STB.  There are no analog signals on the FIOS TV feed, they are all digital (QAM-256).  Even with a QAM capable tuner you will only get the local SD and HD channels (as these are the only ones in "clear QAM") unless you have a newer PC with a cablecard capable tuner.

The cheapest option is the DCT-700 (also called Digital Adapter) for $3.99 / month.  Has no guide, VOD, or widgets and receives only the SD channels you are subscribed to (no HD cpability).  It has both composite video with L/R audio and RF outputs, but the RF output is mono audio only.