I Have A Rather Silly Question About My Set-Top Box . . . .
Made_In_Italy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Everyone !

I'm new here kind of. I had Verizon for 10 years and never knew this sub-forum existed.

It's actually very well hidden and not easy to access through the the main menu screens. 

I have a really basic question.

Please note the underlined/ bolded text. This is what my question is about.

This is what I ordered . . .

Services Ordered:Monthly Amount
Simplified Pricing Tracker - Data$0.00
More Fios TV$70.00
Fios Home Internet: Gigabit Connection$89.99
Auto-Pay Discount-$10.00
Rent: 2 Set-Top Boxes$24.00
HD STB-$12.00
Rent: Fios Router

Fee Waived

ModelVMS4100P2
TypeDVR

My housekeeper allowed access to install yesterday and today when I logged in on myverizon I noticed that 1 of the 'set top boxes' is listed as a 'DVR" [note model # above]. I asked her what exactly did the verizon guy install and she stated 2 boxes in total. 1 on each tv. Is this a cable box with with DVR capabilities built into it ?

Is this some type of free dvr thing they let me test out for a few months then bill me monthly $8-10 for ?

Over the phone they said they would mail me the stream tv thing which is fine but I'm just curious about this because maybe they installed the wrong item ? 

It was supposed to be 2 of those cool new boxes with the 'voice command' remotes. Not those universal remotes like the old kind we used. 

Can you fill me in on how many GB's this STB has on it ?

Is recording shows and using this free ?

Will I get charged if I use that feature ?

Thank You in advance,

Sorry for the silly question as I'm out of town and cant actually see the menu screen.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I Have A Rather Silly Question About My Set-Top Box . . . .
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Made_In_Italy wrote:

Hello Everyone !

I'm new here kind of. I had Verizon for 10 years and never knew this sub-forum existed.

It's actually very well hidden and not easy to access through the the main menu screens. 

More Fios TV$70.00
Auto-Pay Discount-$10.00
HD STB-$12.00

Fee Waived

ModelVMS4100P2
TypeDVR

My housekeeper allowed access to install yesterday and today when I logged in on myverizon I noticed that 1 of the 'set top boxes' is listed as a 'DVR" [note model # above]. I asked her what exactly did the verizon guy install and she stated 2 boxes in total. 1 on each tv. Is this a cable box with with DVR capabilities built into it ?

Is this some type of free dvr thing they let me test out for a few months then bill me monthly $8-10 for ?

Over the phone they said they would mail me the stream tv thing which is fine but I'm just curious about this because maybe they installed the wrong item ? 

It was supposed to be 2 of those cool new boxes with the 'voice command' remotes. Not those universal remotes like the old kind we used. 

Thank You in advance,

Sorry for the silly question as I'm out of town and cant actually see the menu screen.

The Fios one boxes come in two flavors. The larger one is a VMS 4100, the smaller one an IPC 4100 (mini). The VMS is capable of doing DVR recording, but you have to pay extra to get that service, or you can request no DVR service. It's a flipped switch at the main office. I can't tell from your post if you are paying for DVR or not. You'll have to do a chat or call for that. Both boxes come with identical voice remotes that work both on blutooth and IR so you can hide the boxes if you like.imageimage

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Made_In_Italy wrote:

Hello Everyone !

More Fios TV$70.00
Auto-Pay Discount-$10.00
HD STB-$12.00

Fee Waived

ModelVMS4100P2
TypeDVR

Thank You in advance,

The Fios one boxes come in two flavors. The larger one is a VMS 4100, the smaller one an IPC 4100 (mini). The VMS is capable of doing DVR recording, but you have to pay extra to get that service, or you can request no DVR service. It's a flipped switch at the main office. I can't tell from your post if you are paying for DVR or not. You'll have to do a chat or call for that. Both boxes come with identical voice remotes that work both on blutooth and IR so you can hide the boxes if you like.imageimage

Made_In_Italy
Enthusiast - Level 2

@clem53 

Thanks for the speedy reply !

No, I'm not paying for the DVR service which is why i was confused.

Should I call anyway and make sure?  I specifically clicked no on that option on before 'checkout'/ adding to cart.

Why did'nt they just give me 2 ipc4100's ? 

You actually answered my next question which was hiding the fatter model [top photo] inside a compartment cutout i had behind the tv but was worried i wont be able to change the channel. 

I'm dont plan on using the voice command either. Do i have to enable it ?

I already have 2 stalkers named Bixby and Alexa. haha

My housekeeper said the technician 'tested it' to see if it was working and 'programmed' the remotes for me.

Is it enabled by default ? [voice command] or you have to set that up personally. I dont really know what she meant.

Thanks Again ! 

I also have some rookie questions about the 'Guest Wifi' if you dont mind helping me with that next cause i dont wanna look dumb and make another post now. lol

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Made_In_Italy wrote:

@clem53 

Thanks for the speedy reply !

No, I'm not paying for the DVR service which is why i was confused.

Should I call anyway and make sure?  I specifically clicked no on that option on before 'checkout'/ adding to cart.

Why did'nt they just give me 2 ipc4100's ? 

You actually answered my next question which was hiding the fatter model [top photo] inside a compartment cutout i had behind the tv but was worried i wont be able to change the channel. 

I'm dont plan on using the voice command either. Do i have to enable it ?

I already have 2 stalkers named Bixby and Alexa. haha

My housekeeper said the technician 'tested it' to see if it was working and 'programmed' the remotes for me.

Is it enabled by default ? [voice command] or you have to set that up personally. I dont really know what she meant.

Thanks Again ! 

I also have some rookie questions about the 'Guest Wifi' if you dont mind helping me with that next cause i dont wanna look dumb and make another post now. lol

The voice control is called up by using the microphone button on the remote and holding it down while you speak. It is not a stalker like Alexa or Google mini. The VMS 4100 is the master (server) box, the mini's are clients. They give you one master and one mini. You can have 2 minis for every VMS. Guest wifi is just a network name you make available to people you dont want to have access to your main network. You assign a different password and name to it, that way visitors have a seperate network from the main private network.