Correct answers
Re: I am getting audio but no video
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

@rpresser wrote:

I am not the original poster, but I have a similar problem. I will describe:

My Fios DVR  box is connected to my TCL/Roku Smart TV by an HDMI cable. I believe it is using HDMI3 at the moment. It is using 1080 video mode.

FiOS works fine at most times, but often -- not 100% of attempts, but at least 80% --, when I turn on the TV and select the DVR input, I get audio but no video.

The workaround at that point is either to reboot the Fios box, or (much quicker) to disconnect the HDMI cable, wait 5 seconds, and reconnect it. In either case, video returns to normal, and remains normal as long as we are watching the DVR.

Generally when we turn off the TV, we do not turn off the Fios DVR.  It remains powered on at all times.

The "system" has been "automatically troubleshooted" by Verizon innumerable times. The box rebooted many times and at least two factory resets. The TV has also had at least two factory resets. We had a Verizon tech out here in December, and he moved the HDMI cable to a different input, and turned off various "screen saver" options within the DVR menu. The "screen saver" had already been turned off within the TV menu.

This is simply an annoyance but I have little hope that it will be fixed by anybody, ever. They keep thinking that rebooting the box is going to help. It isn't. 

The Fios box occasionally checks the device its connected to to see if it can handle 4K HDR. I would look in the TVs input or Video settings for expanded color, or Auto HDR or something similar and enable it for the input the Fios box is hooked up to. Also check the owners manual and try to find out which if not all inputs can handle 4K HDR and use one of those for the Fios box. The other way is if you are satisfied with 1080, Go into the service menu of the box and set the accepted resolutions to 1080 and lower.

Looking into Roku TV, I see an option called "fast start". You should enable this as it might be interfering with the handshake from the Fios box. I would also opt out of "Smart TV Experience", and disable notifications. Also on the Fios box in the video menu disable TV input control. Also on the TV,  while live on the Fios input hit the * key go into options for that input, change picture mode to something other than "low power".  From Roku manual:

Configure power settings Power settings let you configure features related to how your TV’s power settings work.Power on settingsPower on settings tell the TV what to do when you turn on the power. To configure the power on settings, from the Home screen, navigate to Settings > System > Power > Power on. Highlight the preferred power on location in the list, and then press OK.

Disable "Auto Power Savings" and enable "Fast Start TV". Also set the HDMI mode to "HDMI 2.0" in this menu:

Setting the HDMI® mode (4K models only) On 4K (UHD) TVs, y ou can independently configure each HDMI® input to match the capabilities of the connected device. From the Home screen menu, navigate to Settings > TV inputs, and then select an enabled HDMI® input. Next, select HDMI mode and then select one of the following settings: Auto – Let the TV determine the best setting. Use this option unless your HDMI®device does not correctly communicate its HDMI® version compatibility. HDMI 1.4 – Configure the input for compatibility with HDMI® version 1.4, which supports a maximum refresh rate of 30 Hz at full UHD resolution. Most HDMI®devices will work correctly with the TV in this mode. HDMI 2.0 – Configure the input for compatibility with HDMI® version 2.0, which supports a maximum refresh rate of 60 Hz at full UHD resolution. You must use this mode to view HDR content from the device connected to this HDMI® input. However, note that many older HDMI® devices do not work correctly when the TV’s HDMI® input is set to this mode.

There are also a LOT of CEC settings for your TV That could interfere with it finding the Fios box on startup. Try the suggestions above and if none help look into changing some of these settings:

Enable system audio control

Enable 1-touch play

Enable system standby

You might need to disable some of those options to fix the problem.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HankM wrote:

i get audio bt no video

More info please. What box, what kind of connection, HDMI, composite, optical audio?

Soundbar or receiver in the middle? 4K TV or 1080?

rpresser

My Fios DVR  box is connected to my TCL/Roku Smart TV by an HDMI cable. I believe it is using HDMI3 at the moment. It is using 1080 video mode.

FiOS works fine at most times, but often -- not 100% of attempts, but at least 80% --, when I turn on the TV and select the DVR input, I get audio but no video.

The workaround at that point is either to reboot the Fios box, or (much quicker) to disconnect the HDMI cable, wait 5 seconds, and reconnect it. In either case, video returns to normal, and remains normal as long as we are watching the DVR.

Generally when we turn off the TV, we do not turn off the Fios DVR.  It remains powered on at all times.

The "system" has been "automatically troubleshooted" by Verizon innumerable times. The box rebooted many times and at least two factory resets. The TV has also had at least two factory resets. We had a Verizon tech out here in December, and he moved the HDMI cable to a different input, and turned off various "screen saver" options within the DVR menu. The "screen saver" had already been turned off within the TV menu.

This is simply an annoyance but I have little hope that it will be fixed by anybody, ever. They keep thinking that rebooting the box is going to help. It isn't. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rpresser wrote:

The Fios box occasionally checks the device its connected to to see if it can handle 4K HDR. I would look in the TVs input or Video settings for expanded color, or Auto HDR or something similar and enable it for the input the Fios box is hooked up to. Also check the owners manual and try to find out which if not all inputs can handle 4K HDR and use one of those for the Fios box. The other way is if you are satisfied with 1080, Go into the service menu of the box and set the accepted resolutions to 1080 and lower.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

@rpresser wrote:

Looking into Roku TV, I see an option called "fast start". You should enable this as it might be interfering with the handshake from the Fios box. I would also opt out of "Smart TV Experience", and disable notifications. Also on the Fios box in the video menu disable TV input control. Also on the TV,  while live on the Fios input hit the * key go into options for that input, change picture mode to something other than "low power".  From Roku manual:

Configure power settings Power settings let you configure features related to how your TV’s power settings work.Power on settingsPower on settings tell the TV what to do when you turn on the power. To configure the power on settings, from the Home screen, navigate to Settings > System > Power > Power on. Highlight the preferred power on location in the list, and then press OK.

Disable "Auto Power Savings" and enable "Fast Start TV". Also set the HDMI mode to "HDMI 2.0" in this menu:

Setting the HDMI® mode (4K models only) On 4K (UHD) TVs, y ou can independently configure each HDMI® input to match the capabilities of the connected device. From the Home screen menu, navigate to Settings > TV inputs, and then select an enabled HDMI® input. Next, select HDMI mode and then select one of the following settings: Auto – Let the TV determine the best setting. Use this option unless your HDMI®device does not correctly communicate its HDMI® version compatibility. HDMI 1.4 – Configure the input for compatibility with HDMI® version 1.4, which supports a maximum refresh rate of 30 Hz at full UHD resolution. Most HDMI®devices will work correctly with the TV in this mode. HDMI 2.0 – Configure the input for compatibility with HDMI® version 2.0, which supports a maximum refresh rate of 60 Hz at full UHD resolution. You must use this mode to view HDR content from the device connected to this HDMI® input. However, note that many older HDMI® devices do not work correctly when the TV’s HDMI® input is set to this mode.

There are also a LOT of CEC settings for your TV That could interfere with it finding the Fios box on startup. Try the suggestions above and if none help look into changing some of these settings:

Enable system audio control

Enable 1-touch play

Enable system standby

You might need to disable some of those options to fix the problem.