I am looking to see how FiOS TV works from the ONT up to TV.
Libra
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

Can you help me with the link to see the way TV is attached with the FiOS TV serivces and How Multi room DVR works I  do not want to see the Video through U-tube. Man Happy

0 Likes
Re: I am looking to see how FiOS TV works from the ONT up to TV.
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Libra wrote:

Hi,

Can you help me with the link to see the way TV is attached with the FiOS TV serivces and How Multi room DVR works I  do not want to see the Video through U-tube. Man Happy

Click on this link and when you get to the website click on the

• FiOS TV Welcome Kit
  • (how the overall look of the install will vary with environmental conditions)

The Welcome Kit will show you a general diagram of a Single family home set up as far as wiring and an APT set up for FiOS

Basically when FiOS comes in, they will run the Fiber Optics all the way from the street to your house. They install an ONT (optical network terminal) and it converts the Fiber Optic Signal into useable TV phone and internet service.  

OUT of the FioS ONT will be a Coax outlet for your TV.  They will hook that into your existing house wiring at your main splitter.  They may replace wiring if they find that it's subpar or won't handle what you want to do , but if it's sufficient grade quality cable then they will re-use it.    

Your Internet is also delivered over Coax, so it will be included in that Wiring description above.

Because of that, the router will treat your cable boxes as nodes on the network.  The cable boxes will have routable addresses in the router, that will allow them to send two way communications over the coax, to allow for the multi-room sharing.  

0 Likes
    Re: I am looking to see how FiOS TV works from the ONT up to TV.
    lasagna
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

After you watch the videos, come back here and ask any questions you may have.   

Basically, it uses the "coax" network (just like your traditional old cable installation) to transmit QAM (traditional digital broadcast frequencies over Coax) which the STB's can see and decode (just like a cable company STB did).   For TV, the only different with FiOS is that they don't also carry some of the channels in the older analog format that let you get TV without a STB.

For Home Media DVR -- the two STB's talk to each other over an IP network (just like computers talk to each other) and stream the content from one box to the other.   This IP network is formed over the same coax (using different frequencies) that the TV channels come across using a method known as MoCA.

The router which you have in your house has special software in it which bridges this coax MoCA IP network to the LAN which serves your computers (the STB's have IP addresses which you can see on the System Information page on the STB Menu).