Switch Account

I don't feel safe replacing this. I don't think the customer service rep understood.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I don't feel safe replacing this. I don't think the customer service rep understood.

Message 1 of 2
(829 Views)

I just talked to an agent and described a Verizon box in our apartment. We just moved in and this is a utility box in our apartment that we are dealing with. It's in no way connected to my current service as it was there before we moved in. The battery is low light is on so I called to have them come and replace it. She told me I would have to and said the battery would be here in 10 days. This battery has been beeping every 20 mins and it's frustrating to say the least. This is Verizon's utility box, not mine, and it's annoying that it's in our apartment closet instead of in a utility closet. 

The last part is that I don't feel comfortable touching or moving this battery after I saw the warning labels on it. Someone from Verizon please help me get this resolved so I don't feel like I'm playing Russian roulette just trying to turn off a horrible beeping noise from Verizon's utility box.

Vimage2.jpg

Vimage.jpg

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
MVP MVP
MVP

Re: I don't feel safe replacing this. I don't think the customer service rep understood.

Message 2 of 2
(815 Views)

Note that this is a peer-to-peer forum. Verzion does not provide direct support here.  If you want an official Verizon answer, you'll have to contact them directly (see "contact us" at the bottom of these web pages).

The box is called on ONT, which stands for optical network terminal.  The battery is a sealed lead acid battery.  It is really easy to replace.  Just pull it out and swap connectors.

The primary safety message is don't open the battery as there is nasty stuff inside.  Unless you plan to take a hammer, saw or prying tool to see what's inside, you're safe.  You can easily recycle it at Home Depot or Lowes.

Note that if you do not have Verizon FiOS phone, internet or TV service, you don't need the ONT to be powered.  You can remove the battery and unplug the ONT without concern.

Also, don't be surprised if Verizon sends you a bill for the battery.  The battery is not Verizon equipment, it is owned by the occupant.  If you truly don't have an account with Verizon, you may never see the battery they promised you.  But no worries, just yank out the old one and unplug the ONT.

Enjoy!

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.