Re: IMG 1.7 Experience
demonstr8r
Enthusiast - Level 3
Any idea when VHO4 will receive the 1.7 firmware update?
0 Likes
tangodune

Just got 1.7 (9.83) several days ago (in North Texas) and unlike others, this update completely broke HDMI which had previously been working 100%.  I've been through several tech support calls and 3 STB's (now on 7216) to try and address this apparent coding/singaling (or HDCP) problem.

My STB goes directly to a Sony KDS-R60XBR1, not switched through an amp. I've switched out HDMI cables and verified both HDMI inputs on the TV still work fine from a Bluray player.

Tech support won't/can't roll my image back so I'm stuck with component for now, which on a 60" is noticably less "crisp". 

Any suggestions or is my only option to sit and wait?  Thanks.

0 Likes
demonstr8r
Enthusiast - Level 3
I suppose I should assume that based the history and your recent experience with IMG 1.7 that I shouldn't expect to see it anytime before groundhogs day, spring break or summer vacation. Way to Go Verizon!!!
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@tangodune wrote:

Just got 1.7 (9.83) several days ago (in North Texas) and unlike others, this update completely broke HDMI which had previously been working 100%.  I've been through several tech support calls and 3 STB's (now on 7216) to try and address this apparent coding/singaling (or HDCP) problem.

My STB goes directly to a Sony KDS-R60XBR1, not switched through an amp. I've switched out HDMI cables and verified both HDMI inputs on the TV still work fine from a Bluray player.

Tech support won't/can't roll my image back so I'm stuck with component for now, which on a 60" is noticably less "crisp". 

Any suggestions or is my only option to sit and wait?  Thanks.

Not to argue with you, but I don't understand - you had 1.6.2 of the IMG until last week? I am in North Texas, I got 1.7 on Sept. 29, I am pretty sure all of us in North Texas got 1.7 then. I came home after Thanksgiving to find two of my three STBs powered off, all were left on, so I am guessing tha Verizon did in fact do something to the STBs last week. But mine do not show anything different level-wise that I can see from the original 1.7 distribution in Sept - Menu looks the same, everything seems to work the same.

I have a 4 year old Sony LCD connected via HTMI to my DVR, has worked just fine for over 4 years, through mulotiple levels of the IMG, including what I have now. I don't have a clue as to what has changed for you, but I don't think it has affected too many people or there would me more complaints here and on other forums, and I have not seen that.

I really think your only option is to sit and wait. I don't know whether Verizon has the ability to revert individual users to a previous level or not, but in the past they have not done so, at least AFAIK. We just happen to be the guinea pigs for 1.7, along with CA, and I am afraid you are just going to have to put up with it.

I have never used component on my HD TV, but I have read posts from many people on a number of forums that the picture quality from component can be worse than, equa, to, or better than HDMI. You might want to play around with some of the settings on your TV, you may be able to get the picture much better than it is now.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@demonstr8r wrote:
I suppose I should assume that based the history and your recent experience with IMG 1.7 that I shouldn't expect to see it anytime before groundhogs day, spring break or summer vacation. Way to Go Verizon!!!

I'm sorry, but what would you like Verizon to do? Deliver broken code to you (more broken perhaps than what you have now)? Verizon is doing a lousy job of updating/testing/delivering STB code to us, but distributing stuff that is perhaps worse than what you have now just doesn't make sense, at least to me. I think most FiOS users would prefer to wait somewhat longer and get a level that hopefully fixes some problems and doesn't introduce new ones.

Just my $.02.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
tangodune

@Justin wrote:

Not to argue with you, but I don't understand - you had 1.6.2 of the IMG until last week? I am in North Texas, I got 1.7 on Sept. 29, I am pretty sure all of us in North Texas got 1.7 then.

I have a 4 year old Sony LCD connected via HTMI to my DVR, has worked just fine for over 4 years, through mulotiple levels of the IMG, including what I have now. I don't have a clue as to what has changed for you, but I don't think it has affected too many people or there would me more complaints here and on other forums, and I have not seen that. 

Justin,

Thanks for repsonding back to my issues.  To correct my statement, I'm not sure it was a jump from 1.6 to 1.7 specifically that caused my issue, but I do know there was an update (STB reset) and shortly after my HDMI out stopped working.  The current version shows as 1.7 (9.83).  It occured the evening of 11/17 for me.

I asked tech support if the STB could be rolled back a few revisions just for testing but none of the techs I talked to could perform that.  The tech on-site who did the most recent STB replacement summarized the entire problem as my TV, not the STB. 

What's strange is my old 6000 series STB's got NO picture, but the new 7216 shows a picture for ~3 seconds and then goes black permenately.  My Sony is about 4 years old too and I don't think it was a hugely popular model, thus my issue may be isolated to my specific set type.

I'm sure it's an HDMI handshake problem, just wish there was more I could do to self-repair.  I guess I'll sit in a holding pattern with component and hope for an update.

0 Likes
CraigM

I'm new to FIOS TV service (one week) and wonder if there is a printed schedule for 1.7 rollout?  I currently have 1.6.2.  Live near Portland Oregon.

Have had loads of trouble this past week with the 7216 HD DVR STB.  In no particular order:

*  Optical out doesn't work.  Optical from my BlueRay to the receiver works fine.

*  Video (HDMI direct to Samsung UN55B8000) goes black for a second at random times

*  Audio, via cable to receiver, randomly goes dead (stutter) 

Craig

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@CraigM wrote:

I'm new to FIOS TV service (one week) and wonder if there is a printed schedule for 1.7 rollout?  I currently have 1.6.2.  Live near Portland Oregon.

Have had loads of trouble this past week with the 7216 HD DVR STB.  In no particular order:

*  Optical out doesn't work.  Optical from my BlueRay to the receiver works fine.

*  Video (HDMI direct to Samsung UN55B8000) goes black for a second at random times

*  Audio, via cable to receiver, randomly goes dead (stutter) 

Craig

Hi Craig,

Probably somewhere inside Verizon there is a tentative printed schedule, maybe printed in disappearing ink, but for public consumption, no, there is not a printed schedule, and I don't think there has ever been one. Over the last few years a few people with some inside contacts have reported schedules, sometimes they have been accurate, sometimes just dreams it appears.

As to your problems, using a receiver between the STB and the TV seems to be one of Verizons biggest problem areas, especially with HDMI. I don't pretent to understand all of the issues (I don't have any issues with my QIP6416 direct to a Sony LCD), but I know some folks do have issues, particularly it seems with Samsung TVs (although I thought the newer Samsungs did not have the problems). The most common recommendation when using a receiver is to go directly from the STB to the TV with either HDMI or component and use optical to the receiver; since that is not working for you, I think you should try to get a replacement STB from Verizon. And if they are willing to do that, you might try seeing if they will give you a 6400 box, they are older but seem to have fewer problems, at least from what I have read.

Sorry I don't have any good info for you, but if I hear of any schedule for the 1.7 rollout I will be sure to post it in this thread.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
State of the Union
demonstr8r
Enthusiast - Level 3

To all Verizon employees that monitor this forum,

Is it possible for Verizon to provide us (i.e. paying customers) with a status update regarding the HDMI issues that are reportedly going to be resolved in IMG1.7?  I believe I can safely speak for a majority of the customers by stating that we do not expect miracles, nor do we expect an exact date when the issue will be resolved, but the complete lack of information is quite frustrating at present.  Personally, I plan to switch back to Comcast by year's end if the problem isn't resolved and I am still in the "dark" regarding its status. 

I run the customer service organization for a mid-sized software vendor, and I find the best way to keep customers from venting their frustrations in public is to provide said customers with timely information regarding the high priority issues that are frequently reported. Simply having moderators edit / delete unfavorable comments on this forum doesn't retain or build customer loyalty.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Customer

0 Likes
Release 1.7 in NY
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Woke this morning with 1.7 now loaded.  So, what's new or different in this? Looks the same so far.

0 Likes