IMG 1.9 Update- Problem
EWST5

I live in the Harrisburg area and received the IMG 1.9 update.  Ever since, the picture on my tv has been different and I think I may switch back to comcast.  Specifically, the picture is shrunken (every channel).  It looks the same as if there were black bars on the sides, and in some cases the top, of the screen.  I never had a problem before the update, the picture was always fine.  Not it doesn't fill my LG HDTV.  I was on the phone for over an hour with Verizon.  They rebooted my box several times, had me un-plug everything, had me change every single possible video setting (including standard to high def, 16:9 to 4:3, etc.) but nothing worked.  They decied to send me a new box.  When the box first booted up, the picture/video was fine, but then it continued to update and at the end I had the same problem.  I was happy with Verizon, but when the picture on your tv doesn't actually fit the tv it's annoying to watch.  Unless there is some magical fix, I will be switching back to comcast.  FYI- I am not the only one who has had this problem in my area ever since the update.  The exact same thing happened to a couple that lives near me.  Before the update the picture was full and fine, after the update it was shrunken.

-Eric

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: IMG 1.9 Update- Problem
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

One thing that many people (including Verizon tech support) tend to overlook, is that not only does the Verizon STB have the ability to modify the signal (stretch or shrink the screen), but so does the TV. So there are two places you want to check.

I would start off by 1st turning all modifications off. Set the Verizon STB to 16:9 and then go into the SD override and turn that off. That will turn all the Verizon modifications off. Then go into the TV's settings and turn them off as well. Now this differers by manufacturer so you will likely need your owners manual. As an example, my Sony has a button on it that says "P Size" and the normal non altered mode on it is called "full". So when I have my TV set to "full" and I have the Verizon STB set to 16:9 and have the SD override turned off, my TV will display the SD programming with the pillar bars (black bars left and right) and the HD programming in full screen. This is the way the picture is supposed to show up when unaltered.

Once you have all the alterations turned off, then it is a matter of finding the mode on the tv or STB or combination of both that give you the pic you desire. Most likely, if at this point you go into the STB menu and select the SD override and make it either "stretch" or "480i", you will get the desired effect. But you can also play with the TV's stretch modes if the Verizon ones dont give you what you are looking for.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

which Set top box do you have?

0 Likes
EWST5

It's an HD DVR QIP 72161

-Eric

0 Likes
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

Did you accidentally hit the aspect button on your remote (the pound key)?  This affects the picture size.  Just a thought.

How new is your TV?  Could it be your TV?

EWST5

Tried the aspect ratio button as well, doesn't help.  The tv isn't even a year old and I never had this problem before the update (see original post).

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

Have you checked if the black bars on the sides of the screen is only on SD channels or both HD and SD channels ? Easy way to compare is to go to Ch 100 CNN and Ch 600 CNN HD.

And what cables are used between HD TV (assumed it is HD TV) and STB ?

0 Likes
EWST5

I get less than a handful of HD channels but when comparing the two, the few HD channels I get seem fine while all of the SD channels are different.  Also, I am using the regular old colored component cables supplied by Verizon.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

One thing that many people (including Verizon tech support) tend to overlook, is that not only does the Verizon STB have the ability to modify the signal (stretch or shrink the screen), but so does the TV. So there are two places you want to check.

I would start off by 1st turning all modifications off. Set the Verizon STB to 16:9 and then go into the SD override and turn that off. That will turn all the Verizon modifications off. Then go into the TV's settings and turn them off as well. Now this differers by manufacturer so you will likely need your owners manual. As an example, my Sony has a button on it that says "P Size" and the normal non altered mode on it is called "full". So when I have my TV set to "full" and I have the Verizon STB set to 16:9 and have the SD override turned off, my TV will display the SD programming with the pillar bars (black bars left and right) and the HD programming in full screen. This is the way the picture is supposed to show up when unaltered.

Once you have all the alterations turned off, then it is a matter of finding the mode on the tv or STB or combination of both that give you the pic you desire. Most likely, if at this point you go into the STB menu and select the SD override and make it either "stretch" or "480i", you will get the desired effect. But you can also play with the TV's stretch modes if the Verizon ones dont give you what you are looking for.

TrantaLocked
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also have aspect issues with some local channels through my SD STB. Verizon doesn't care. I contacted them and even Fox and no one solved the problem. 

0 Likes