IMG 1.9 for eSATA Port Activation
teevee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is it possible to request the IMG 1.9 upgrade before the general software push?

Somehow ( probably due to later updates ) I missed that there was a specific software version required in order to use the eSata drive. I've just purchased a compatible drive and found that it was not immediately recognized, as indicated on the information page. The online notification for this feature started a few months ago. I would love to start using it right away.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: IMG 1.9 for eSATA Port Activation
OneQuickSix
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just saw this ... 

"MD/DC/VA is the biggest market so VZ uses the rest of the country as a beta test before rolling out updates to the DC area market. We get it last but with the least bugs.

Everyone should have this update by Halloween or early November by the latest :)"

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

There is no way to request an upgrade.  Verizon does a push of the software "regionally" (won't go in to the deatials as to what defines a region).

The whole footprint should have the update within the next couple of months so you'll just have to be patient.

0 Likes
Louis12345
Okay. Verizon tech support said this can be done, but it is not working. Now they are on strike. Anyone know how to force the upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Louis12345 wrote:
Okay. Verizon tech support said this can be done, but it is not working. Now they are on strike. Anyone know how to force the upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9?

You cannot force it. Period. You will automatically get it when Verizon distributes it in your area. Since you do not say where you are, and do not have it specified in your profile here, there is no way to even know if you are in an area where it is already available (but if you were, you would already have it).

Keller, TX 76248

charliebarrett
Contributor - Level 2

I've seen where there is a $39 trade-out charge for the older 1-room Motorola DVR's like mine that won't support eSATA - Worth it, I think!

I'd also love to know what the file format is, and can the files be accessed over the local network and burned on DVD/BluRay? I'd love to know if they're encrypted or proprietary file formats.

I think most of the DVR's run LINUX, and I think LINUS eSATA drives can be read on a Windows PC with an eSATA adapter and proper UNIX disk emulation software (or just run LINUX on an old PC and add an eSATA card), so the big question is the file type.

News Releases about eSATA extrnam DVR expansion Drives:

https://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/members/Storagecapacity.aspx

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2011/verizon-unveils-the-next.html

Signup (email notice of availability):

https://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/members/DvrExpansion.aspx

Available Now!
Verizon FiOS DVR Storage Expansion

Want more storage from your FiOS DVR?

Now , you’ll have the chance to get even more! That is, up to 60 hours in high definition (HD) or up to 300 hours in standard definition (SD) of recording capacity for your favorite TV programs and movies with the our new FiOS TV DVR’s (500 GB).

There will be a one-time exchange fee of $39.99 to receive this new DVR to expand your FiOS TV Experience.

If you want to be notified about how to upgrade to the larger capacity DVR, please fill out the information below.

I understand there is no obligation at this time and that I will be contacted with email instructions and terms on how to request the upgrade. Please contact me at:

0 Likes
teevee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am patient and I am still waiting here. I am in Northern Virginia (Metro Washington, DC).

Has anyone been able to find a schedule? Or, Verizon, do you have a schedule to share? This would help manage expectations.

Thanks much!

0 Likes
nycplayboy78
Contributor - Level 1

TeeVee I am in the same boat as you. I too am in Northern VA/DC (Fairfax County) it is amazing that FiOS was first rolled out to the nation in Fairfax County but now it seems we are behind when it comes to their release schedule. I already have the new 500GB DVR plus the DVR Extender but I am still on 1.8IMG....SIGH!!!!!

OneQuickSix
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same boat here in MD (Baltimore County and Harford County).  Have been hearing about 1.9 like ... well, forever.  I saw something about eSATA drives now (FINALLY ... I coud do this with Comcrapst a LONG time ago) and hooked my up.  No joy.  I called FIOS tech support and they verified that you needed IMG 1.9 to have the SATA port enabled. Smiley Mad

I asked when the IMG would be upated, and the answer was that it looked like MD and VA were last on the list.  With Comcast we were one of the first on the list (us and Philly) seeing as how we're near the Nation's capital, a major Internet/Comms backbone and everything.  FIOS has really dissed the Balto-DC region with updates.  Especially Balto.  My friend in PG-county had FIOS two-years before they rolled it out into Baltimore and Harford counties.

0 Likes
OneQuickSix
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just saw this ... 

"MD/DC/VA is the biggest market so VZ uses the rest of the country as a beta test before rolling out updates to the DC area market. We get it last but with the least bugs.

Everyone should have this update by Halloween or early November by the latest :)"

teevee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got an email yesterday. It didn't contain a date, but it was an advertisement for the upcoming changes. Hopefully, we all got a similar message. So close...

0 Likes