Re: IMG 1.9 release notes and discussion thread
LumpyG
Contributor - Level 1

Since Verizon doesn't read posts here, and didn't give me any sort of response via their 'feedback' links, I decide to post something about the eSata FAQ/I<G 1.9 issue to the 'Idea Exchange'. Go here to vote to get the issue raised, since Verizon reps actually read that forum (as far as I'm aware, anyway):

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Remove-update-eSata-FAQ/idi-p/314583

Thanks!

0 Likes
demonstr8r
Enthusiast - Level 3

What you fail to understand is the fact that renting and leasing are two totally different business concepts. For example, after 3 years on a standard car lease, you can choose to pay the residual and own the car for as long as you want to keep it, and thus stop making payments.  However, with the STBs we keep paying FOREVER even after the original cost is recouped by Verizon, and the value has depreciated to zero. After 3 years of renting a STB through Verizon at $20 per month, I will have paid $720, which is definitely more than the upfront cost to purchase a new one. Bottom line, this is a money making strategy for most providers because most people don't read these forums, nor do they know enough to want to upgrade.

I would definitely like to have the new STB, but I refuse to shell out an extra $40 as a matter of principal.

0 Likes
susanlynn9

===========================================

What you fail to understand is the fact that renting

and leasing are two totally different business concepts.

I wanted a bigger hard drive.

Verizon says for $40 I can have one right now.

It's worth $40 to me.

I pay $40.

I get my bigger hard drive.

I'm happy.

Verizon's happy.

Please explain to me what ANY of this has to do with ANYTHING about the difference between renting and leasing. Nothing.

0 Likes
zich61
Contributor - Level 1

@jumpin68ny wrote:

We seem to be getting off topic here.

This is about 1.9 release notes.

Can we please stick to the topic!!!!

Apparently not.  Since 1.9 is on hold, THERE ARE NO RELEASE NOTES.  So all we have left is the discussion we're engaged in. 

0 Likes
zich61
Contributor - Level 1

@susanlynn9 wrote:

What you fail to understand is the fact that renting

and leasing are two totally different business concepts.

I wanted a bigger hard drive.

Verizon says for $40 I can have one right now.

It's worth $40 to me.

I pay $40.

I get my bigger hard drive.

I'm happy.

Verizon's happy.

Please explain to me what ANY of this has to do with ANYTHING about the difference between renting and leasing. Nothing.

Did you even read my post that showed how to get it for free?

People who pay for things they don't have to only encourage companies to perpetuate predatory marketing practices.  If customers took a stand, they'd likely abandon those practtices as ineffectual.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Just a reminder folks, that we ask you stay with the topic, and abide by the forum guidelines in your exchanges with other users.

cordera23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I became a new FIOS TV customer on June 3rd and got two Cisco DVRs model CHS 435 HDC.  They have ver 1.9 sw loaded.  Tech says new customers are getting Cisco boxes and existing customers get upgraded to Motorola 7212.  I see an active menu item to add an external drive (as expected with v1.9).  I seem to be missing an expected feature of 1.9.  Only one DVR can be the multimedia DVR and it can't share with the other DVR.  It can only share with the set top box. 

Any one know if this is unique to Cisco DVR?  I see menu items for multiple DVRs but can't use them yet.  Is this coming soon?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Can't answer your questions regarding the Cisco and multi-room as they are omnly being distributed in limited areas, but need to correct several errors in your post.

First, not all areas are getting Cisco boxes as there is an issue of interoperability between Motorola boxes and Cisco boxes in the same home.

Secondly, exisitng customers are getting ugraded to a Motorola 7232 only on request and many new customers are getting the same Motorola DVR (7232).

0 Likes
cordera23
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I signed up I told them I would only do so if I got the "new" DVR.  The rep on the phone checked and said that the depot that serviced my area (near philadelphia) had the new DVRs so I could get one.  I thought it would be Motorola but the tech showed up with Cisco.  The tech working out of this depot said he is installing Cisco for new customers only.  He was not installing Cisco for old customers.  Probably speaks to the interoperability issue you mention.  This also doesn't mean all new customers get Cisco, I'm sure it's based on availability.  

My neighbor was having trouble with his DVR (motorola 6000 series) and he tells me it got replaced with a black Motorola with a lot more capacity.  He didn't know the model number.  I didn't mean to suggest all old customers were getting upgraded.

0 Likes
georgeny1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too failed to see anything about 1.9 being required until at least the last second. The last FAQ advised me that I needed 1.9. I had already ordered 1TB Video Extender drive from Best Buy as noted approved by FIOS pages. I decided to go ahead with my pick up although I could have cancelled and brought it home putting it on the closet shelf in hopes that Santa, I mean FIOS 1.9 would soon be here Smiley Happy

I did contact Fios via Chat, I asked when 1.9 would be available in my area, she refrred me to same useless pages I had already read 9 times, less I miss something again. I then located this forum.

Comments for what they are worth. I love FIOS, no if, ands or butts. I am happy to have the extender drive because it was the only unit in my store, albeit a small box store. Who knows how many will be availabel WHEN ( I am not saying if ) 1.9 comes to my town. If all else did fail it is still usable as another backup drive on my Mac if nothing lese although it costs a couple dollars more than just a 1Tb similar unit without video DVR components ( eSATA cord and controller connect, and smoothing software, the video drive extender hard drive claims a high GB transfer rate you really can;t use just any Hard drive tomy knowlege )

So I now know, MUST HAVE 1.9 which contains the software required to manage the extended external hard drive use. MUST have an approved or comparable equip Hard Drive fro DVR use not just any Hard Drive. Two things that were not very plain during my initial readings of Verizon Webpages.

I once had a billing problem NON FIOS between divisions of Verizon. I learned a lot during the next SIX months of attempting to get it reconciled. I wnet so far as to actually make contact with one of the CEO's who assurred me it would be handle forthwith. took his office four months and nine " I'm the guy, here's my direct number, check will bein the mail " before finally resolved. I received calls from FOUR states 8 cities for Verizon people ASSIGNED to fix this. HahahaVerizon is the must compartmentalized and screwed up management I ever saw. They admit it and claim that it is because of government regulations that force them to operate various entities seperately and without any inner connectors. I believe them.

Someday the 1.9 ship will be in and if I am not at the airport I will be ready drive in hand. In the meantime way better than still being a cable vision customer. Cablevision improved it's customer service because their product couldn't be. They provide overcompressed video etc.....I may not get 1.9 yet but I do get the picture Smiley Very Happy

George in NY

0 Likes