Re: IMG 1.9 release notes and discussion thread
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@dprovan wrote:

As you can tell I am not to happy with your pricing model for equipment. (and please don't "state of the art" me).

(emphasis added)

(emphasis added to above post)

You do realize that this is a PEER-TO-PEER (user to user) forum.  I don't know who you think you are adressing the above statement to, but 99% of those here are not employees of Verizon -, myself included (although a few employees do lurk).

0 Likes
alden
Contributor - Level 1

When is it going to be released. I signed up expecting extended storage to be available quickly. Now my bill is he same as I had with DTV, where I had over 4 TB in one room (4 dvrs x 1TB drive each) now I have 1 expensive DVR and no expanded storage. I could record 8 shows in that 1 room (If I wanted to) and store a whole season of EPL soccer, now I have to delete, delete, delete. As you can tell I am not to happy with your pricing model for equipment. (and please don't "state of the art" me). This update needs to be rolled out extra fast, or DTV here I come.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I think that Verizon charging $20 rental fee for DVR is way too expensive. I guess that price Verizon pays Motorola for each DVR maybe $100 a piece, so, after 5 month renting it to customer, Verizon makes pure profit on each box!!!

I am former DTV customer and  I was pretty happy that they charged for DVR one time charge and then it was free. Unlike Verizon, DTV is willing to absorb charge buying boxes from manufacturer and that is very customer friendly policy.

The reason I swithched, is FIOS Internet and because Verizon triple package is cheaper.

I think Verizon should be flexible in charges for equipment as $20 rental fee for DVR is way too expensive.  For people willing to have 2 or 3 DVR at home it's very expensive to pay rental fee.

Verizon shall allow customers to pay full price for equipment, if they wish, and not to tie customers to rental fee for equipment the life of service. 

0 Likes
Re: Roll-Out Update
prisaz
Legend

@alden wrote:

The unpleaseant reality is that software represents a 'state engine' with a truly enormous number of states (for all practical purposes, a number large enough that even in the entire product life it is unlikely that all of them will ever be entered). Your beta testing may provide tens of years of product experience. The problem is that when you put it out to tens of thousands of customers, you run up thousands of years of product experience in a hurry, and there is a very high probability that there will be some unpleasant surprises. My advice is always expect the customer to do the unexpected and use features in ways the developers and product markeing people never imagined!

I used to build computer hardware. At one point we built some of the fastest HDD controllers in the world.  I remember one particular problem that surfaced after we had been shipping for about 3 years, and we had literally hundreds of these things in the field. The reality is the problem had been there since day zero, and to this day I still don't understand why it took nearly 3 years to be noticed, because it was something pretty basic.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said before and I am saying now: Verizon should not get involved in the IMG development in the first place. Verizon is not software company it's media privider company. Their goal is to provide customers with quality media content , not to develop new software. That is what software companies are for, they equipped with expertise, knowledge, experience to make qood reliable software for reasonable price.

Somebody in Verizon top management ( who I guess does not have any clue what  software development is about ) decided that Verizon can develop new IMG on their own. Just hire IMG development team, explain them the goal and that's it.

As far as I know among cable and sattelite TV providers ONLY Verizon have chosen to develop new IMG themselves - other cable and sattelite companies hired software companies to develop IMG.

Result we are seeing now - delays. confusion, beta testing, rollout, then complaints by customers, stop rollout, IMG 1.9a redevelopment, then testing again, etc. etc.

It's very good example for any other media company how NOT TO MAKE WRONG BUSINESS DECISIONS.

How do you know who is behind the curtain? They don't make the hardware, and I am sure some of the other things are done by others. can's say for sure. But someone must do the work. So HOW can you say they are poor business desisions. I know the T??? company does not come out with new hardware or software very often, and when they do, who writes it?

0 Likes
Re: Roll-Out Update
tns
Master - Level 2

@alden wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said before and I am saying now: Verizon should not get involved in the IMG development in the first place. Verizon is not software company it's media privider company. Their goal is to provide customers with quality media content , not to develop new software. That is what software companies are for, they equipped with expertise, knowledge, experience to make qood reliable software for reasonable price.

Somebody in Verizon top management ( who I guess does not have any clue what  software development is about ) decided that Verizon can develop new IMG on their own. Just hire IMG development team, explain them the goal and that's it.

As far as I know among cable and sattelite TV providers ONLY Verizon have chosen to develop new IMG themselves - other cable and sattelite companies hired software companies to develop IMG.

Result we are seeing now - delays. confusion, beta testing, rollout, then complaints by customers, stop rollout, IMG 1.9a redevelopment, then testing again, etc. etc.

It's very good example for any other media company how NOT TO MAKE WRONG BUSINESS DECISIONS.

Microsoft wrote them a very poor interface.  So they decided to write their own.  Many other Cable and Satellite companies also write their own.  Dish for example designed its own boxes and wrote their own sofware.  Dish also ended up with several delays of not months but years before they were able to  release promised revisions.

Verizon FIOS is about 6 months behind in what they planned for 1.9, but those who have it have praised it for a great improvement.

0 Likes
dprovan

Intended specifically for the lurkers !!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
dprovan

Keyboards: Ok so your should have been their.  If however you believe that 99% of the people here are non-Verizon, then I have some canned sunshine I'd like to sell you.Smiley Wink

0 Likes
dprovan

Keyboards: One other thing I forgot to mention: After you read the post below do you still think it's non-verizon or peer to peerSmiley Mad

(We will be moving any 1.9 threads from this board over to the other one in order to keep everything in one place for easy reference. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.)

IMG 1.9 release notes and discussion thread

Please post your questions and observations on the Technical Assistance board thread. For release notes, you can view the blog post about IMG 1.9.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Yes I can say I am not Verizon, and yes about 99% of the people here are not Verizon employees. Could be 95%? By the way until a few years back, Verizon was only a phone, and data connection provider. Not a Media Content Provider. You said it yourself, Microsoft built the first interface. So who is to say that Verizon is doing it 100% on their own. It could be they are doing it in a manner where they have more control over quality, with help from others. Perhaps they were not happy with revision 1.0. Like I said I do not work for them, so I am just throwing out a wild guess. They may have even hired a whole boat load of developers. Before FiOS TV there was FiOS Internet, and that is when I subscribed. So some of the users that have been around a while, are rather fond of the service, hang out here, and try to help others when possible. I will say I ran a Tivo on FiOS for about 14 months, and patiently await the next reliable 1.9 release for the Verizon DVR. My TiVo is on a shelf unplugged right now. I like some features of both. But went back to Verizon for some of the features that their DVR has.It has only been a little over six months since 1.8, so I would rather have 1.9 release right, than released wrong.

By the way TiVO wants me to commit to another whole year just to have the box I own turned back on. So I think I will stay with the new QIP-7232 P2 and wait for 1.9.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone!

We invite you to discuss the new 1.9 rollout on the board dedicated to just this product/topic. You can find it here.

Want more details on the 1.9?  Please keep watching the Verizon At Home Blog for additional "official" from Verizon information.