IR input cable type for QIP7216
taliaferro62

I have a QIP7216 STB and I need to use the IR input on it, however I'm having some problems.  I need it because the STB is located in a closet and I have an RF remote control that signals to RF base station in closet.  I need to connect electrically instead of using IR from base station to STB to keep other STB box (qip6400?) in closet from "seeing" this signal.  From what I've read, the IR input is enabled on 7216.  I've tried to connect to it from RF base station but it doesn't work.  I've also seen some info implying that the IR input cable tip/ring/sleeve wiring may be different than I'm using.  Can anyone provide some helpful info on this issue?  A possible solution would be Verizon's IR cable.  Can I get one of those?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: IR input cable type for QIP7216
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

taliaferro62 wrote:

I have a QIP7216 STB and I need to use the IR input on it, however I'm having some problems.  I need it because the STB is located in a closet and I have an RF remote control that signals to RF base station in closet.  I need to connect electrically instead of using IR from base station to STB to keep other STB box (qip6400?) in closet from "seeing" this signal.  From what I've read, the IR input is enabled on 7216.  I've tried to connect to it from RF base station but it doesn't work.  I've also seen some info implying that the IR input cable tip/ring/sleeve wiring may be different than I'm using.  Can anyone provide some helpful info on this issue?  A possible solution would be Verizon's IR cable.  Can I get one of those? 

I'm not certain I understand how you have wired your setup.  In any case, I suggest that you review the thread below to determine if the device I describe will work for your application:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Motorola-QIP-2500-Remote-IR-Extender/m-p/4...

0 Likes
taliaferro62

I'll add some details about how my system is setup.  Two STBs in a closet (along with DVD players, AVR receivers, etc.).  I have an RF remote + base station programmed such that FIOS remote functions are pre-programmed into RF remote.  When I press FIOS/OD (for example) the remote sends an RF signal to the base station in the closet.  The base station then translates the RF signal to the appropriate FIOS/OD IR code (for the STB) and sends it out to an IR flasher that is attached to the STB at the IR receiver.

However, occasionally the IR flasher directed at STB #1 seems to affect STB #2.  So, what I would like to do is replace the IR flasher between base station and STB IR receiver with a cable from base station to STB IR Remote input.  I've tried this and a standard "stereo" 1/8 inch connector does not work.  So my main question is:  what is the pinout (tip/ring/sleeve?) of the connector that will work in the STB IR Remote input jack?  Alternatively, if I can get a Verizon IR Extender Cable (such that I know it works in the STB IR Remote input), then I can at least attach my IR flasher (IR output) to the Verizon IR Extender (IR input) such that it won't interfere with other STB.

0 Likes
windwalker1

IR Repeater kit works well if you have multiple devices to operate. Here is a link to several models. http://infrared-resources.com/category/73634229101/1/IR-Repeater-Hub-Kits.htm

This 9ft IR Extender works great with all QIP7000 series boxes. Simply plug it into the back IR port. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JSDHCY

0 Likes