Install Question (Verification)
akasjl
Enthusiast - Level 3
All, decided to bite the bullet and get FIOS Internet and TV.  My install date is not for another 4 weeks.  When I got home today, I saw my lawn all marked in orange or red.  I am assuming this was Verizon?   In any event, this disturbs me onlyb/c I need to mark my sprinkler system which will not be done until 5 days before the install date.  When I ordered online, they state they do the digging for the line 24 or 48 hours before the tech comes on the scheduled day AND call first.  I just want to verify this is accurate as I am worried they will start installing the cable before the sprinkler folks come out.  TIA.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Install Question (Verification)
Techman28
Master - Level 1
ok I have verified you will have a buried drop done on 4/21

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I know in my area there is only a requirement that the utility marking company be given so much time before you dig. If you know the exact locations of your sprinkler lines I would mark them myself, or get them out asap. Most of the people I have seen putting the fiber in the ground are contractors, and the installers of equipment are Verizon technicians. For example when ever ground work is done behind my house everything but my fiber cable gets marked, so I keep a can of orange paint and mark it myself. Water is blue. Perhaps others can give better information.

MissUtility in my area marks the lines and they do miss a few.

Message Edited by prisaz on 03-23-2009 08:29 PM
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

I double check this for you in the morning but generally its not verizon that comes out to mark the lines. The local utility company/city generally comes out to mark the lines. I'll double check this for you in the morning

0 Likes
akasjl
Enthusiast - Level 3
Appreciated. 
0 Likes
SamRay
Enthusiast - Level 2

The cable to our house is above-ground so perhaps our experience does not apply to you.

When they install the service, they will install a Optical Network Terminal (ONT), a power supply (OPSU) and a battery backup (BBU) for the power supply. The FiOS literature says that they can go anywhere convenient for you, but the technicians doing the install say that the ONT must be next to the power box for the house. The ONT goes outside and the OPSU and BBU must (according to the installers and technicians) go inside the house right next to where the ONT is on the outside. We did not know all this of course so we had to move a lot of stuff out of the way in a hurry.

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@akasjl wrote:
All, decided to bite the bullet and get FIOS Internet and TV.  My install date is not for another 4 weeks.  When I got home today, I saw my lawn all marked in orange or red.  I am assuming this was Verizon?   In any event, this disturbs me onlyb/c I need to mark my sprinkler system which will not be done until 5 days before the install date.  When I ordered online, they state they do the digging for the line 24 or 48 hours before the tech comes on the scheduled day AND call first.  I just want to verify this is accurate as I am worried they will start installing the cable before the sprinkler folks come out.  TIA.

Here's the deal.  Verizon hires the cheapest local contractors available to lay the cable to your house up to a week BEFORE your install date.  They get the utilities to mark where you have underground services running to your home.  If you have anything else in there, like an underground sprinkler system or an invisible fence, it is YOUR responsibility to mark it before the contractors dig.

I'm not sure what you mean by your sprinkler system not being marked - can you not mark it?  If you absolutely HAVE to wait for the sprinkler guys to mark that system, I'd call Verizon and re-schedule your install AFTER you have everything marked.

But even THAT doesn't necessarily help, as I had all of the markings you could imagine from the utilities and cable company, and even placed clearly-labelled flags indicating where I had my invisible pet fence, but they managed to slice through not only the invisible fence, but also the Cox Cable line, so it's even better to be physically present when they dig to see what damage they do and ensure Verizon ultimately compensates you for all of the repairs you end up having done.

In my case, I repaired the invisible fence myself (simple low-voltage wire splice) and called Cox cable, who repaired their cable within  a day, and presumably directly billed Verizon for the damage repair, since I didn't have to pay (but I was without any TV for three days while cable was out and FIOS was not yet in!).

(...and yes, I realize that I was cancelling my cable to transition to FIOS anyways, but it was the PRINCIPLE of the thing!)

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
ok I have verified you will have a buried drop done on 4/21
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

CapnTrips wrote:

@akasjl wrote:

Here's the deal.  Verizon hires the cheapest local contractors available to lay the cable to your house up to a week BEFORE your install date.  They get the utilities to mark where you have underground services running to your home.  If you have anything else in there, like an underground sprinkler system or an invisible fence, it is YOUR responsibility to mark it before the contractors dig.

I'm not sure what you mean by your sprinkler system not being marked - can you not mark it?  If you absolutely HAVE to wait for the sprinkler guys to mark that system, I'd call Verizon and re-schedule your install AFTER you have everything marked.

But even THAT doesn't necessarily help, as I had all of the markings you could imagine from the utilities and cable company, and even placed clearly-labelled flags indicating where I had my invisible pet fence, but they managed to slice through not only the invisible fence, but also the Cox Cable line, so it's even better to be physically present when they dig to see what damage they do and ensure Verizon ultimately compensates you for all of the repairs you end up having done.

In my case, I repaired the invisible fence myself (simple low-voltage wire splice) and called Cox cable, who repaired their cable within  a day, and presumably directly billed Verizon for the damage repair, since I didn't have to pay (but I was without any TV for three days while cable was out and FIOS was not yet in!).

(...and yes, I realize that I was cancelling my cable to transition to FIOS anyways, but it was the PRINCIPLE of the thing!)

if we cut/break anything we will reimburse you for any damage incurred
0 Likes
akasjl
Enthusiast - Level 3
Very much appreciated.
0 Likes
dvakaduke

Techman,

What's the appropriate way to file a claim. I had FIOS installed several months ago, after having my irrigation system winterized, and discovered today when restarting the system there is broken pipe right in the direct path where they installed the fiber.

Thanks,

Don

0 Likes