Install question -where should I install the backboard and power outlet?
Penguinboy

Hi all-

Bit the bullet today and ordered the new triple threat- TV/Phone/Internet.  We already have Verizon phone and DSL, so adding the extreme HD package was only $60 or so more- Comcast in town couldn't touch that!

Ok- the install is next week and my current old school verizon phone drop is on the left side of the basement.  The power comes in on the exact opposite wall of the house, so the breaker box is on the opposite side of the basement.  I want to put up the backerboard and run a new outlet for the set up.  Should I mount it pretty much where the current phone line comes in?  I could do it near the power- doesn't matter- just want to put it where it's easiest to run.  We don't have cable now, so I'm running RG6 this weekend.   So how big a board, and which side should the power be on?  I'm doing it from scratch, so I might as well do it to spec.  Any installers reading this?  Let me know what'll make your life easiest...

-Danny 

0 Likes
Re: Install question -where should I install the backboard and power outlet?
Penguinboy
bump
0 Likes
yenracd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi!  Not sure if this will help you any, but I can tell you what we did.

Our backboard to mount the battery back-up and electrical outlet is 15 inches wide by 24 inches long.  We have the electrical outlet at the very top of the board; the battery back-up unit and the other little unit is right below that.  You could probably shorten the board a little in length maybe making it 17 or 18 inches but we made it longer to give the technician more room to work with.

Also, for the battery back-up unit, the wires coming into the house for this are from the ONT and they placed our ONT outside where the original telephone box is outside.  So I would probably mount that inside board where the phone wires come into the house and run the electric from the otherside of the basement to the board you mount for the back-up unit.

Hopefully someone who installs can answer before you do it, but this is what we did and it seemed to work out fine.

0 Likes
yenracd
Enthusiast - Level 3
I should also add that we just have the battery back-up unit, another little small unit (not sure what that's called) and the electric outlet hooked up on the backboard.  The ONT is outside and our router is upstairs near the computer.  If you do a google search and type in fios installation pictures, you can find different examples of what people did.
0 Likes
Penguinboy

yenracd-

Thanks for the info!  We're hoping they'll install everything inside, in the basement right where the phone line comes in.   Outside where it comes in is right on the side of the house, right in the driveway, about 6 inches from where we park.  Much rather have it inside to prevent any damage and to keep it looking neat in the driveway.....

0 Likes
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

The tech may or may not install the ONT in the basement mine is on the side of the house and my in law's is in their basement.  They have plenty of wall space there where I have less than 6 foot ceilings and no where to install it.

So it just depends. 

Also you shouldn't have to worry about where the outlet is in relation to the BBU it has a 6 foot or so power cord and even if its not near the ONT they just run more power wire between it and the ONT. 

0 Likes
yenracd
Enthusiast - Level 3
If you do get that all put in the basement on that backboard, you'll need a bigger one than I mentioned since our ONT is outside.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

My ONT is on a 24'x24" 3/4" AC plywood, with everything mounted on it. But in any case the location closest to where the fiber is gonna come in is best. Easy for the installer is the wall directly inside where the phone line runs into the house.  I guess it is not defined as far as what "power near by means". I guess as closs as possible. Here is a link that provides more detail. I thought this link would take you strait there. But you need to select installation in the FAQ Categories side bar to the right.

http://www22.verizon.com/residential/fiosinternet/faq/faq.html#answer_3_3

Message Edited by prisaz on 02-26-2009 03:22 PM
0 Likes
Penguinboy

Awesome responses!  Thanks to all!  I have plenty of room to mount a 2' x 2' board right where the phone line enters the house through the sill, and there's a power outlet within a foot of that, so I think I should be good!  Again- thanks for the great responses!

-Danny 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Penguinboy wrote:

Awesome responses!  Thanks to all!  I have plenty of room to mount a 2' x 2' board right where the phone line enters the house through the sill, and there's a power outlet within a foot of that, so I think I should be good!  Again- thanks for the great responses!

-Danny 

A few more things. Some techs may refuse to put the ONT inside your house. My next door neighbor wanted his in the basement like mine, and they said no. Depends on the weather. If it is bad the techs prefer to work inside. Pray for bad weather. Also if it is in your house and you have an issue, you will have to be at home for every call to support. If it is in your house it is more secure.
0 Likes