Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Install question -where should I install the backboard and power outlet?

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Install question -where should I install the backboard and power outlet?

Message 11 of 12
(2,284 Views)

One little thing that might affect you. When my FiOS service was installed 3 1/2 years ago, the installers refused to connect it to a wall outlet that was GFCI-protected. The reason was that, if the GFCI tripped, electrical service to the ONT would be lost but I might not be aware of it until the battery in the BBU was drained as the rest of the house would still have electrical service. A GFCI can sometimes trip for pretty insignificant events that would really pose no danger to the ONT or BBU. I don't know what Verizon's position on connecting to a GFCI is now, but if your nearby outlet is a GFCI, or is GFCI-protected, you might want to be prepared to change it out.

Just something that might affect your installation.

Keller, TX 76248

Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Install question -where should I install the backboard and power outlet?

Message 12 of 12
(2,258 Views)

Thanks for all the additional info...   I ran RG6 to my 2 drops this weekend, as well as cat5E for the router/modem, and I installed the backerboard.  The outlet that's about 3 feet from the backerboard is NOT GFCI.  Thanks for the tip though just in case it was.

I'm pushing for in basement ONT install.  No reason for it not to be.....  This guy should be in and out of here in record time!  As long as the cablecards and the Tivo HD behave.  

-Danny 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.