Installation help
TheKingofSiam
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please forgive me for asking this in case it has been asked before but I am new to the forum and need some information.

I already have the Fios Double play for the internet and phones. Since I am in a co-op the ONT box is in the house on the wall near my desktop computer. I just got a great deal and have upgraded to the triple play to add the tv to both tvs I have.

I was told that installation was free but would be charged 54.99 for each outlet that needs to be run if I don't have existing coax cable. Do I need these outlets? One tv is in the same room with the FIOS ONT. I have not had cable until now., only an antenna. I ran a coax cable from the antenna in the attic down to the room the FIOS box is in. I connecte it to a spliltter which I then ran to the tv in that room. The other split signal I ran to the other room via a coax cable I ran under the carpet.

What kind of cables will need to be run for the instalation? Will an outlet need to be installed in the room that has the FIOS box? Will another one be needed in the other room or can the esisting coax cable from the splitter be used?

0 Likes
Re: Installation help
prisaz
Legend

They can disconnect the cable that runs from the room where the ONT is located, and connect it to a new splitter that will support FiOS. If you have existing coax cables in the room where the ONT is located, and it runs to the other desired location, I would not see where additional outlets would be required. If it is just a matter of 20ft of extra coax in the same room, the tech would probably just do it, if you did not currently have it. The antenna cable would just be abandoned, unless your TV supports ATSC digital broadcast, and you wanted to also keep that option. It should be listed as an install with existing outlets. My opinion. Older RG-59 coax soes not work as well if they are long runs, or the cable is very old. The recommended cable is RG-6 quad shield.

TheKingofSiam
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the advice.

I figured that all I would need in the same room is a cable from the ONT to the splitter and assumed that it would be provided by the installation tech, just as the tech supplied the cable from the ONT to the router when I got the double play package 2 years ago. I am not worried about abandoning the cable from the antenna -- although if I need to provide a cable it is long enough for my needs. Glad to know I can use the cable already running under the carpet. The cable under the carpet as well as the one from the attic are both RG-6 cables.

Any other information you think I should know?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

You should be good to go. I know they may wish to check the connectors and replace the cable ends. A few good techs will do that. I know the least amount of work they have to do, the more they are willing to do for you. Smiley Wink When ever I have had a tech come in for anything, I have said here are the cable ends, and they usually smile. I have had one or two from different vendors over the years look at me and ask who ran these. Like they wanted to charge me. Once I show point a and b it usually helps.

Good luck and I hope you have a happy install.

TheKingofSiam
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. Although now under this heading, I would like some info on a related subject.

I am still a dinosaur with a VCR. Once I have Fios for the tv, can I do like I used to, tape one channel while watching another (for purposes of taping to keep). I assume for just taping to watch later I can do that with the dvr. Also, can I record more than 1 channel at a time?

0 Likes