Interchange eSATA drives with different top boxes
morcom201
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just had a big scare today because I had a problem with my top box and thought I would have to replace it. The problem is that even though most of the shows (my son's) are in the external eSata drive,  they wouldn't be accessible with a new DVR unit. Sometimes I wonder if I should go back to the days of VCR's where you could see the recorded programs in any TV.

My question is.......does anyone know if Verizon is planning or it it's even possible for these external eSata's to one day be like the VCR's, or independent of the top boxes it recorded from?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Re: Interchange eSATA drives with different top boxes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@morcom201 wrote:

I just had a big scare today because I had a problem with my top box and thought I would have to replace it. The problem is that even though most of the shows (my son's) are in the external eSata drive,  they wouldn't be accessible with a new DVR unit ... does anyone know if Verizon is planning or it it's even possible for these external eSata's to one day be like the VCR's, or independent of the top boxes it recorded from? ...

This issue has been raised many times, but so far there is no resolution.  We have brought it to the attention of VZ Communications many times, but so far no relief.  See for example:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/quot-Divorce-quot-External-eSata-Drive-Fr...

Another user once suggested that the external drive be referenced to the account holder's account number rather than a specific physical device.  I believe this practice is followed by another ISP or cable company.  However and sadly once again, no relief yet.