Intermittent Audio Distortion with HDMI hookup
mtvessel

I recently bought a Toshiba REGZA model 40xv645u to replace a Viewsonic unit. I used the HDMI cable that I had the Viewsonic hooked up with, and had no problems with at all in both picture and audio, and after the first three hours the audio went a bit crazy. The sound from the TV was like someone had put the reverb up all and it was scratchy. The scratchy sound was like when you have the cable box volume set to a specific level and you try to boost the sound with the TV volume. How ever on this set up I have the stb volume fixed because I specifically want the volume controlled on the TV.

I also do not think that the reverb would be caused by volume settings. I talked to Toshiba and their response was to make sure that it only happened with the stb otherwise they would be glad to service the unit, does that sound familiar?

I haven't noticed the problem with my htib set up, that is hooked up with component cables. I am going to try testing the TV as Toshiba instructed, turn off and unplug TV for at least ten minutes and then see if the audio problem occurs with the htib unit as well as the stb.

I can tell you that the problem went away if I turned off the TV and turned it back on, this would stop the problem for another three hours. Has anybody else had this problem?  

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent Audio Distortion with HDMI hookup
VZ_JoeD
Contributor - Level 1

Have a look in Menu/Settings/Audio/Dynamic Range of  your set top box.  Possibly moving from High to low and test then back to High and test again.  Also check settings for stereo, surround etc.  Assure the TV is on  a proper audio selection such as sports,music,movies etc.

0 Likes
jlouis

mtvessel, Did you ever find a resolution to this problem?

I have that exact same model Toshiba Regza (along with a 46" as well).  I use Verizon FIOS for internet but as a business customer, it's cheaper for me to use Directv, so mine are hooked to HD directv boxes (using HDMI).  My 40" has the exact same problem as yours.  Purchased as Best Buy about 2 months ago. 

Look forward to hearing what you may have found out.

0 Likes
pkf1

I too have the same model 40 inch Regza and am having the same audio distortion problem.  I also have a 46 inch Regza and no problem with that.  Has anyone found a solution?

0 Likes