Intermittent problem Verizon cannot resolve - they suggest changing service providers?
boss351

Ever since upgrading to the 35/75 FIOS internet service a few months ago Verizon FIOS tech support has become the most frequently used speed dial number I have as I have a intermittent problem that Verizon has, for all intents and purposes, given up on fixing. A dozen calls to tech support and multiple onsite visits, new router, new ONT, a seemingly endless supply of upper tier support people who don't want to take any responsibility for the problem, and my only apparent avenue to get a reliable service is to change vendors. Now that's an interesting marketing approach. The basic issue appears as loss of internet and the only fix is to power cycle the ONT or have Verizon tech support reboot it. Happens when activities are using high bandwidth. Verizon is, for lack of any better diagnosis, pointing at the Tellabs ONT as the problem but can't seem to tell me if the problem is being addressed.

Anyone having similar issues with Verizon 35/75 speed service??

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent problem Verizon cannot resolve - they suggest changing service providers?
prisaz
Legend

@boss351 wrote:

Ever since upgrading to the 35/75 FIOS internet service a few months ago Verizon FIOS tech support has become the most frequently used speed dial number I have as I have a intermittent problem that Verizon has, for all intents and purposes, given up on fixing. A dozen calls to tech support and multiple onsite visits, new router, new ONT, a seemingly endless supply of upper tier support people who don't want to take any responsibility for the problem, and my only apparent avenue to get a reliable service is to change vendors. Now that's an interesting marketing approach. The basic issue appears as loss of internet and the only fix is to power cycle the ONT or have Verizon tech support reboot it. Happens when activities are using high bandwidth. Verizon is, for lack of any better diagnosis, pointing at the Tellabs ONT as the problem but can't seem to tell me if the problem is being addressed.

Anyone having similar issues with Verizon 35/75 speed service??

Changing service providers? Now that does not seem to be the right answer based on what I read here. Let me see if I can't point out your issue to someone.

http://responsibility.verizon.com/verizon-credo/

Can you tell us which model of Tellabs ONT you have? I had 75/35 on a ONT612 for 4 months with no issues. Now if you have an ONT 611 or 610, 50/20 could be your only option.

To power cycle or reset the ONT seems like just changing a band aid on sore that keeps bleading.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent problem Verizon cannot resolve - they suggest changing service providers?
fttpline
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too have the same problem your having. I upgraded to the 75/35 I'm on about my 8th route and my 4th ont (612a).  Changing the router doesn't help but when they change out the ont seems to last 2 to 3 months. So after and number of calls, tech role outs I still have the same problem. I was told that they were going to switch me to gpon and get me off the tellabs but because it was a Saturday that I had to wait for a weekday as engineering wasn't in. Never got a call back tried to call back but had to start all over. They sent out another tech he changed the power supply and now I'm going on 3 months with only 2 reboots so far. But still not fixed...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Try running an ethernet cable from the ONT to the Actiontec Router, and then call verizon and ask them to switch you to ethernet.  

Test it out and see if your problem goes away, sounds like they tried most other things, including replacing the router and probably the ONT,  if they are out of ideas and haven't tried that one, then give it a shot.  you might be surprised.

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Boss351 and FTTPline,

I am sorry for the troubles you are both having. We would like to help you out. So we can get more information from you, I have copied your posts to our private support board. Please refer all correspondences to there from here on out. You can easily get to the private support one of two ways. In the email you signed up for the forums with, you will receive a link to click on. Make sure you are already signed into the forums before clicking on this link. Another way of getting there is by clicking on your username anywhere you see it in the forums. This brings you to your account profile. Scroll down to the section labeled "My Support Cases" . In there you will see the link to your case.

fttpline
Enthusiast - Level 3

Replyed 

0 Likes
boss351

Thanks to everyone who responds.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent problem Verizon cannot resolve
boss351

ONT is 612A which I believe is most current .  So far, only the local Verizon FIOS tech (who has been super) has been concerned about having someone in Verizon communicate with me regarding the "known" Tellabs problem they are associating my problem with. So I call every 3 days because I'm usually told someone will get back to me in 48 hours which they never do.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent problem Verizon cannot resolve
prisaz
Legend

My ONT is also a SFH 612A. No issues here. Unless it is a serial number lot issue, where some are having troubles, and others are not.

I would also suggest as Hubrisnxs has, that you have them switch your ONT from MOCA over to Ethernet. You would need an Ethernet cable along with the COAX to your router location. That has been my configuration, and has always worked great. It may be the answer.

If your ONT is close to your router, running and connecting an Ethernet cable to your router might be something you could do, if you want to try to resolve the issue quickly without a another tech visit. The Fiber Solutions Center could probably switch it while you are on the phone. But they would need a Service Order to track the change, and that request would need to be pushed. If the FSC can see the order in the system, they may do it right away. They used to do it without an order, but then it became an issue of not being able to track who had what. I had thought Tech support and the FSC were one in the same, but I believe there are different levels of capabilities. Like Tier 1 support is not going to be able to make changes to your configuration, but they can submit the service order.

0 Likes
boss351

Its a 612A. Just can't anyone from Verizon to give me a straight answer relating to their statement that it may be related to a Tellabs ONT issue. If you can't fix the problem just tell me that and let me look for a provider that has reliable service.

0 Likes