Intermittent video dropouts

Intermittent video dropouts

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor mjdjr
Contributor
Message 1 of 60
(9,716 Views)
I have the Motorola QIP-7216 and am using the HDMI output for the video signal.  The video signal goes black for about 1-2 seconds at random times.  I notice it happens more frequently when watching the HD channels (no specific channel over any other).  I have tried 3 different HDMI cables (different lengths and brands), on each of the 4 HDMI inputs on my TV (52" Philips LCD).  The audio does not drop out when the video does, but I am using the fiber optic out for the audio into my stereo system.  I have ruled out the HDMI inputs on the TV as my DVD player is hooked up via HDMI and I have no dropouts at all when watching DVD's.  Is the only solution to replace the STB?
59 REPLIES 59
Copper Contributor Massman
Copper Contributor
Message 2 of 60
(9,675 Views)
Smiley MadI have the same STB QIP 7216 hooked up to a new Sony KDL52XBR6 and have the same problems with video blackout. I had the same problem for 2 years with my Sony 50" SXRD. I called support and was told again, the HDMI connection is not compatible with the STB and I will have to contact the manufacturer of the TV to get a firmware upgrade to make the handshake compatible. If you believe that, I have land for sale in El Paso Tx... My HDTV has all the latest firmware and version HDMI that is on the market today. Somebody needs to get Verizon to listen to themselves and then get these STB's fixed. Their solution was to go backwards and connect component instead of HDMI !! Isn't that why we buy HD is to use HDMI connections as they are rated the best? Blue Ray DVD had no problem connecting and supplying a great picture with no hassles. For what Verizon charges for their service it amazes me that we have these problems... not happy at all !!!
Contributor FIOSHDFUN
Contributor
Message 3 of 60
(9,576 Views)
This has been happing to me ever since I got FIOS for my TV. It's also happening to a couple of freinds of mine how also have FIOS. They need to fix the problem. It has nothing to do with the type of TV you have.
Contributor FrenchDzyn
Contributor
Message 4 of 60
(9,488 Views)
I'm having the same problem with constant hiccups to audio/video all weekend long.  My Memorial Day guests all witnessed the problems with my FIOS DVR and all swore never to switch to Verizon!  Four calls to Verizon support all walked me through the tedious process of checking connections and switching boxes around and power cycling.  I do not work for Verizon ... I am a customer.  A technician is coming out Saturday.  Fingers crossed!
Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV
Message 5 of 60
(9,468 Views)

The first posts to this thread describe known HDMI interoperability issues between the QIP7216 and many displays.

The solution is (a) use component, or (b) swap the QIP7216 for a QIP6416 which doesn't exhibit the problem.

Edit:  Verizon plans to improve the QIP7216's HDMI compatibility with an update by the end of August.

Message Edited by KenAF on 06-20-2009 09:39 PM
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
Copper Contributor Massman
Copper Contributor
Message 6 of 60
(9,420 Views)

"The solution is (a) use component, or (b) swap the QIP7216 for a QIP6416 which doesn't exhibit the problem"

Great solution, Go back to component when we all spend alot of $$ to use HDMI and the latest technology. I guess being a techie has its drawbacks. Does the QIP6416 even have HDMI hookup or is that only component? Now that Direct is advertising 1080p direct to the TV how long will it take Comcast and Verizon to finally upgrade the boxes to actually work correctly.  {please keep it relevant}

Message Edited by KaLin on 06-21-2009 06:11 PM
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 7 of 60
(9,419 Views)
I have a 6416 and using hdmi with no problems -  so answer is yes hdmi hookup is possible with the 6416 and considering all the problems I have read about with the 7216 I will stick with my 6416
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 8 of 60
(9,417 Views)

@Massman wrote:

"The solution is (a) use component, or (b) swap the QIP7216 for a QIP6416 which doesn't exhibit the problem"

Great solution, Go back to component when we all spend alot of $$ to use HDMI and the latest technology. I guess being a techie has its drawbacks. Does the QIP6416 even have HDMI hookup or is that only component? Now that Direct is advertising 1080p direct to the TV how long will it take Comcast and Verizon to finally upgrade the boxes to actually work correctly. {please keep it relevant}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p  [edit] Broadcasting standards
1080p HDTV

In the United States, ATSC support 1080p video, but only at the frame rates of 24, 25, and 30 frames per second (1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30). The ATSC is considering amending its standard to allow the incorporation of the newer codecs for optional usage as the DVB Project consortium already has done with DVB-S2.[6] However, doing so is not expected to result in widespread availability of 1080p60 programming, since most of the existing digital receivers in use would only be capable of decoding the older, less-efficient MPEG-2 codec, and bandwidth limitations do not allow for broadcasting two simultaneous streams on the same broadcast channel (e.g. both a 1080i MPEG-2 stream alongside a 1080p MPEG-4 stream).

In Europe, 1080p25 signals have been supported by the DVB suite of broadcasting standards; higher frame rates, such as 1080p50 and 1080p60, have been foreseen as the future broadcasting standard, [4] though they require more bandwidth and/or advanced codec such as H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. Starting Fall 2009, ETSI and EBU, the maintainers of DVB, will require that DVB-compatible digital receivers feature support for 1080p signals at 50/60 Hz and MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level 4.2 with Scalable Video Coding extensions. [7] [8] SVC enables forward compatibility with 1080p50 broadcasting for older MPEG-4 AVC receivers, so they will only recognize baseline SVC stream coded at a lower resolution/frame rate and gracefully ignore additional frames, while newer hardware will be able to decode full-resolution 1080p50 signal. EBU recommends that legacy hardware should at least not crash in presence of SVC or 1080p50 (and higher resolution) signals.[7]

Message Edited by KaLin on 06-21-2009 06:12 PM
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 9 of 60
(9,414 Views)

your 1080p that your referring to is vod. its important to me that your exact in your statements.

the 6416 has problems with hdmi just like the 7216.....

Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV
Message 10 of 60
(9,407 Views)

@Tektronic wrote:

your 1080p that your referring to is vod. its important to me that your exact in your statements.

the 6416 has problems with hdmi just like the 7216.....

The interoperability issues are not comparable between the two.  The 7216 might exhibit HDMI compatibility issues with 50-70% of TVs, whereas the 6416 might exhibit HDMI compatibility issues with 10% of TVs.  In the latter case, the fault is just as likely to be with the TV as it is with the 6416; some older (and newer low-cost) TVs were rushed to market and skimped on their HDMI compatibility testing. Samsung in particular was known for this.

As noted above, Verizon does plan an update before the end of the summer that will improve HDMI compatibility on the QIP7216.  For now, you either need to use component, or switch to the QIP6416 for HDMI.  Or buy a TivoHD / Moxi.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.