Re: Intermittent video dropouts
mjdjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:

I am glad to say that this issue seems to have been resolved for me.  When this issue first arose I checked the forums and saw that Verizon apparently did not have any solutions for this other than switch to component cables.  I did that and the problem did not go away, it was a little better, but I still experienced video dropouts.

I finally called Verizon tech support about 2 weeks ago (I didn't update this sooner, because I wanted to make sure the issue was in fact resolved before I did), and spoke with someone who I honestly did not trust and he new it.  I begrudgingly did as he asked, and questioned his methods every step of the way, but I will admit that he was correct and knew what he was doing.

He explained to me that there is a problem with the receiver communicating with the modem/router (this is where I started to question his abilities and knowledge).  He wanted me to reset the modem/router, which I did, only after I reminded him that he should tell all people that do this in the future that this will remove all security from your router and reset it back to OTB "Out of the box" settings.  After I reset it, he ran some tests, made a couple of changes (not sure what), then he reset my DVR from his desk.  After it was reset, I had to run a test on the DVR unit to get reply times for him.  He then said that it should be resolved.  I got off the phone with him, quite skeptical that anything was resolved.

Over the last 2 weeks though, I have had my DVR hooked up to my LCD via HDMI cable, the same one that wasn't working before, and I have not had ANY dropped video signals at al since then.  I am glad that I finally called and spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about.  I'm not sure if this is the solution for everyone with the same issue, but it is worth giving them a call and asking.

0 Likes
ethics
Enthusiast - Level 2

If the router is reset, eliminating security, then will reinstallation of WPA cause the problem to recur?

My question may not make sense b/c I'm not IT skilled, but I want to be sure that my wireless internet connection remains secure.

Thanks. 

0 Likes
mjdjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Once the router/modem was reset, and the tech made the necessary changes (again, I'm not sure waht he changed), I changed the wireless network name abck to what I ahd it at, and re-enabled the WPA2 security with a secure password.  I basically set everything back to the way I had it in the router.  I'm sorry I did not clearly state this in my earlier post. 

To sum it up, my TV no longer has video drop out via HDMI cable, and my wireless security is still secure.

0 Likes
Massman
Enthusiast - Level 2
I am in the IT department and understand what you have stated but cannot understand how the Modem/Router has anything to do with the DVR when they are on a separate incoming line. My intenet connection is not the same connection as the cable feed for the STB, they are split at the Optical. Seems that what this tech reset was on the Fiber end and not the modem/router. My next question is why are they not making this fix accessable to the rest of us? Is there only 1 tech that knows this solution? We all would like to drink from the same well!!
0 Likes
TOPALSKY
Switched to component cables,and although my TV stopped cutting to black,the picture now hiccups all the time,HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Likes
mjdjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Massman wrote:
I am in the IT department and understand what you have stated but cannot understand how the Modem/Router has anything to do with the DVR when they are on a separate incoming line. My intenet connection is not the same connection as the cable feed for the STB, they are split at the Optical. Seems that what this tech reset was on the Fiber end and not the modem/router. My next question is why are they not making this fix accessable to the rest of us? Is there only 1 tech that knows this solution? We all would like to drink from the same well!!

I'm not exactly how it relates, but he did explain that if the modem/router is turned off then the widgets will not work, as they are provided via the modem/router.  I can only assume that the signal is somehow fed to the modem/router, then returned to the DVR, but this is only a guess as it was not explained to me properly.  As I stated earlier, I didn't really trust him at first, so we did not get along, hence he didn't explain things to me as I would ahve liked.

0 Likes
ethics
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a 7216 and continue to have the dropuot problem even when I switch to component inputs.  Also, I understood that the 6416 does not allow the viewing of DVR'd material through STBs in other rooms of the house.  Is that correct?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@ethics wrote:

Also, I understood that the 6416 does not allow the viewing of DVR'd material through STBs in other rooms of the house.  Is that correct?

Thanks.

No.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Entil2001

@ethics wrote:

I have a 7216 and continue to have the dropuot problem even when I switch to component inputs.  Also, I understood that the 6416 does not allow the viewing of DVR'd material through STBs in other rooms of the house.  Is that correct?

Thanks.

I'm also still having the dropout problems after switching to component cables.  Several times an hour.  So this is not just an HDMI problem, which means it's definitely the 7216.

If I switched to the 7200, which is still an HD-DVR, would that solve the problem?  I wouldn't mind losing the multi-room function if it meant watching things on the main TV was enjoyable again!

0 Likes
Billy3201
Enthusiast - Level 2
I did all the suggested, I now am using componant cable and my picture still goes out for a second
0 Likes