Internet connection issue
GlobalEarthling
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello! Have internet connection issues with a $1500 Vizio 4kUHD Smart TV. It is wired with Ethernet category 7 cabling to Verizon’s Gateway modem. I subscribe to Netflix UHD and to nothing else, ie, no cable box. 1) Occasionally, the tv disconnects without any warning after running from several minutes to about 90 minutes. 2) Occasionally, at start up I cannot boot Netflix; a message pops up stating that “The connection is disconnected”. Yet, when I check the TVs connection status, it shows the connection connected. It usually reconnects on a second try, but sometimes it takes several tries. Booting other apps gets the same disconnect result.

I’ve been having connection issues ever since purchasing this tv last June. Last November, a Vizio tv repairman replaced the motherboard that has all the inputs/outputs on it because the tv stopped connecting to the internet altogether. Last Saturday, Vizio replaced the tv. But, nothing has changed. Same-o, same-o.

The repairman suggested that a possible problem could be a security issue between the modem and the tv. Are you familiar with this type of issue and can Verizon help correct this? Or do you have any other ideas what could be causing this connectivity issue? I chatted with Verizon recentlyBut, still facing this issue again and again.

The Vizio tv allows me to run a connectivity test. It reveals that the download speed varies between 1 and 3 Mbps! I connected my laptop to the same 50-foot cat7 cable and it revealed up/download speeds in the 80s with a 12ms latency. I have the 75/75 Fios subscription. Rebooting the modem may or may not allow me to connect to Netflix. This modem replaced an older modem with which I was having this issue. My hope was that the Gateway would resolve it, but, no. Same-o, same-o.

Please note that I have another tv, an $800 Sony 4kUHD Smart TV that does not have this issue, and is also Cat 7 Ethernet 50-foot wired to the Verizon Gateway modem. I tested the TVs with both cables, so I know it’s not a cable issue. If it’s not a tv, cabling, modem, Netflix issue, then, what? Does Verizon need to change the Ontbox? Is Verizon incompatible with Vizio's browser? Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet connection issue
GlobalEarthling
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last Thursday, the Vizio tech guy replaced the mobo on the replacement tv. That's the 4th mobo! This time, he also replaced the Wifi board. So far, the replacement tv is now problem-free. Like they say, 4th time lucky? Keeping fingers crossed.

No one's response on this forum provided an answer to the issue. My response may be providing the solution.  However, JimY put me on the right track when he advised me to Google it. I did, and discovered that all manufacturers have issues like this, but none were identical to the above. Even the tech guy said it was a first for him too.

An IT friend discussed the intermittent connect/disconnect issue with the Vizio tech in my home, and together we laboriously narrowed the possible culprit to either the tv's ethernet connector being faulty which is on the mobo, or something else requiring the wifi board to be replaced, even though the network is wired, except for my wife's smart phone. (I previously forgot to mention that both tvs' ethernet cabling are double insulated.)

Bottom line: it was very clearly not a modem/router, any other device, cabling, bandwidth, app, file sharing, DNS, DHCP, CEC, firmware, network, or cyber attack issue. It seems to have been a tv hardware quality or quality control issue. Maybe. Anyway, if anything else happens, it would be time to get a refund, and maybe try my luck with - no Verizon, not cable tv - VR or better yet AR glasses?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like a TV issue.

If a laptop on same cable is fine, then I would believe it is TV.

Have you checked for software updates?

TV doesn't have WiFi built in?

0 Likes
GlobalEarthling
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Rob, thanks for your response. It does sound like a tv issue - but, two tvs - a coincidence? Yes the tv does have wifi, but i prefer wired for streaming. Besides, i paid 1500 for the tv, so wired and everything else should work, wouldn't you demand so? I'm not about to settle for a lesser quality alternative.

Tonight, I called Vizio once again. Went through their laborious series of tests and updates again, but all to no avail. So, now they are sending another tech to test this "recertified" replacement tv onsite in a few days.

I've spent 9 months trying to resolve this issue: upgrading the modem and the bandwidth, researching and purchasing ethernet cable, spending cumulative hours on the phone, chatting online, querying forums with Verizon, Netflix and Vizio. At this point i just want my money back, not yet another replacement as they have the audacity to predict may happen. With each replacement the 12-month warranty is not restarted. I have 3 months left for this issue to be resolved with this current replacement tv. And only days if it's replaced again! My blood is beginning to boil.

My other smart tv, a Sony, connected to the same network the same way, has not aggravated me like the Vizio, and it cost  almost half. Vizio's picture quality is better than the Sony, but connection performance is deplorable.

But maybe there is some unexpected reason for the issue. If i think it may be of interest to this forum, i'll update this post after the Vizio tech's visit.

0 Likes
JimY2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I bought a Vizio TV about two years ago and returned it within 24 hours for a similar problem.  After some research I discovered Vizio TVs do not work on a network with file sharing enabled.  The network connection will not work or will drop frequently.  I tested turning file sharing on and off on my network and the TV would work or fail based on the settings.

Vizio's only solution at that time was to turn off file sharing on the network, something I was not willing to do to make the TV work.  It would be too inconvenient for my computers.  

I don't know if Vizio has corrected the problem but if they haven't it will never work properly if you have file sharing enabled on your hoe netowrk.  

Search Google for Vizio and File Sharing for more info and File Sharing and your computer operating system if you want to test turning file sharing off.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have 3 Samsungs.
Never had a problem with any of them on the network.

And streaming works fine over WIFI for me.

With only 1 stream happening at a time, WIFI should have no issues even with HD.

0 Likes
GlobalEarthling
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last Thursday, the Vizio tech guy replaced the mobo on the replacement tv. That's the 4th mobo! This time, he also replaced the Wifi board. So far, the replacement tv is now problem-free. Like they say, 4th time lucky? Keeping fingers crossed.

No one's response on this forum provided an answer to the issue. My response may be providing the solution.  However, JimY put me on the right track when he advised me to Google it. I did, and discovered that all manufacturers have issues like this, but none were identical to the above. Even the tech guy said it was a first for him too.

An IT friend discussed the intermittent connect/disconnect issue with the Vizio tech in my home, and together we laboriously narrowed the possible culprit to either the tv's ethernet connector being faulty which is on the mobo, or something else requiring the wifi board to be replaced, even though the network is wired, except for my wife's smart phone. (I previously forgot to mention that both tvs' ethernet cabling are double insulated.)

Bottom line: it was very clearly not a modem/router, any other device, cabling, bandwidth, app, file sharing, DNS, DHCP, CEC, firmware, network, or cyber attack issue. It seems to have been a tv hardware quality or quality control issue. Maybe. Anyway, if anything else happens, it would be time to get a refund, and maybe try my luck with - no Verizon, not cable tv - VR or better yet AR glasses?

0 Likes