Is it possible for my neighbors to steal my FIOS like they could with cable?
kw23608

Is it possible for my neighbors to steal my FIOS like they could with cable? I was just wondering because I get weird blips and image interuptions while I'm watching TV.

0 Likes
Re: Is it possible for my neighbors to steal my FIOS like they could with cable?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.

0 Likes
Re: Is it possible for my neighbors to steal my FIOS like they could with cable?
Smeader

Yes it is possible for a local FIOS cable subcontractor to split the FIOS signal and provide it to non-paying homes. The easist way to determine if theft is prevalent is to actually measure the signal receieved at the device. This is a problem  in rental homes in Amherst, NY bcause of the large quanity of transients employed as private "home care aides." The home care aides actually reside with the elderly in need of assistive living but are ineligible to qualify for Medicaid due to income restrictions. It is made easier bcause FIOS and similar services hire "sub-contractors," to handle installation and level one complaints about signal quality.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Smeader wrote:

Yes it is possible for a local FIOS cable subcontractor to split the FIOS signal and provide it to non-paying homes. The easist way to determine if theft is prevalent is to actually measure the signal receieved at the device. This is a problem  in rental homes in Amherst, NY bcause of the large quanity of transients employed as private "home care aides." The home care aides actually reside with the elderly in need of assistive living but are ineligible to qualify for Medicaid due to income restrictions. It is made easier bcause FIOS and similar services hire "sub-contractors," to handle installation and level one complaints about signal quality.

That is incorrect. Verizon doesn’t use sub contractors for FiOS installs. Yes the coax could be split but the non paying home would get local channels only if their TV has a QAM tuner. 

The situation is unlikely anyway because most apartment buildings have the fiber and ONT extended to the apartment. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes