Is it possible to use fios tv one without fios router?
nation1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there a way to trick fios tv one into working without a fios router? The main fios tv one box works the fios tv one minis that are connected via coax don't work. Currently I am providing internet to the coax cable with a gocoax adapter.

/

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is it possible to use fios tv one without fios router?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably not, as the Verizon routers create a separate, private WiFi network for the FiOS ONE minis.  Note that I haven't tried what you propose, so it may work.

You can connect the mini's via Ethernet, if that's an option for you.

I use a Verizon router with my FiOS ONE boxes.  I haven't tried running with a non-Verizon router.  The information I'm providing comes from other discussions and the FAQ I referenced.  If you peruse these forums and the ones at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber you'll find lots of similar discussions.  There appears to be lots of work involved in getting them setup and keeping them running without a Verizon router.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check out:

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

Short story: it is difficult to get FiOS on boxes setup and keep them working without a Verizon router.

Longer story: The FiOS One boxes won't activate without a Verizon router.  Once activated, there are some additional port forwards and settings you'll need to figure out.  If they ever need to be re-activated, you'll need to re-install a Verizon router.

Verizon won't provide any support past the ONT if you don't have their router.  Even if you think a TV problem has nothing to do with the router, they will most likely refuse to help.  It's unlikely you'll have an issue, but you should be aware of their support policy and maybe keep a Verizon router handy just in case.

Good Luck

nation1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay and if I choose to use the g1100 as a switch to activate my fios boxes is it also possible to somehow make one of my fios tv one minis connect to my 3rd party wifi extender which is connected via ethernet to the g1100?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably not, as the Verizon routers create a separate, private WiFi network for the FiOS ONE minis.  Note that I haven't tried what you propose, so it may work.

You can connect the mini's via Ethernet, if that's an option for you.

I use a Verizon router with my FiOS ONE boxes.  I haven't tried running with a non-Verizon router.  The information I'm providing comes from other discussions and the FAQ I referenced.  If you peruse these forums and the ones at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber you'll find lots of similar discussions.  There appears to be lots of work involved in getting them setup and keeping them running without a Verizon router.

Good Luck.