Is there any way to get the latest equipment? ( The Verizon anti-loyalty program.)
transon
Enthusiast - Level 2

My DVR is the old 80GB model. The new 500GB model has been available to "new" customers for some time now. Current customers can only get on a "someday" waiting list. Full story below. Incidentally, this is the worst treatment I get from any service I pay for from any vendor. If I could get fiber from anyone else, I'd dump Verizon.

I am extremely unhappy with my FIOS service and the general treatment I have received in the last month. I have been a loyal customer of Verizon FIOS for a long time, years, I was an early adopter. I called in December (my contract was up again) and in order to renew I asked for an equipment upgrade (my DVR is too small). I was promised an upgrade and renewed my contract. I was sent to different boxes containing the same equipment I already have (which I returned). After many hours online and on the phone sorting this out of 2 weekends we finally sorted out the problem. The requested DVR model I was promised and have asked for since early December is only being given to NEW customers. As a loyal customer who has given Verizon thousands of dollars, I am punished by being denied access to modern equipment. I was told as a current customer I could sign up on a waiting list and someday the equipment will be offered to older customers (I can only assume after every new customer in the world signs up). I was alternately told by a customer service rep that the only way to get what I asked for is to rip out all my current equipment, send it in, make and wait for new installation appointments, and become a new customer. THIS IS UTTERLY REPUGNANT. I have been with Verizon for years.  I believe I am not less important that anyone off the street that wants to sign up. Is Verizon willing to do anything at all about this? Is this my reward for years of paying Verizon, to be treated like a second class customer and offered untenable options??? I feel after all my loyalty and lots and lots of cash over the years I deserve the same thing as any other customer.

Re: Is there any way to get the latest equipment? ( The Verizon anti-loyalty program.)
prisaz
Legend

Yea! What they said! I am getting a new TiVO. Want a 7216? Not me, I plan to take mine back asap. The 1.9 img will make things better.

0 Likes
Re: Is there any way to get the latest equipment? ( The Verizon anti-loyalty program.)
transon
Enthusiast - Level 2

not sure I understand. You're spending your own money to buy a Tivo to use a service Verizon provides? Like instead of expecting them to keep your equipment up to date? (or at least allow you options equal to all other Verizon customers)

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@transon wrote:

not sure I understand. You're spending your own money to buy a Tivo to use a service Verizon provides? Like instead of expecting them to keep your equipment up to date? (or at least allow you options equal to all other Verizon customers)

I have one TiVO HD now, and adding another would be great. Have you ever used a TiVO guide and actually got what you wanted to record? I pay TiVO $9.99 a month because my commitment is up, and Verizon $3.99 a month and get everything but Widgets I don't want. VOD they charge to much for, Remote DVR programming that only works when you don't need it. I have a 1TB internal drive I installed. Get my point?

Under $15 a month and does everything I want. I thought I missed the VOD untill I got it back for 2 months and decided I didn't need it. Multi Room, don't need it. Tried it once and canceled it. The only reason I have MRDVR now was to get the discounted HD boxes which they do now anyway. Shame they started that a month after I picked up the VZ DVR.

I did sugest that Verizon partner with TiVO and cut their development cost, and that was given a not likely response. Yea if Verizon offered a TiVO with the guide TiVO provides, TiVO VOD options, Verizon VOD options, Verizon Widgets, I would give Verizon $20 a month no problem.

I had a Verizon 6216 DVR for 4 years, a TiVO still for over a year, and now a 7216 for about 2 months. I like TiVO. Sorry Verizon.

0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1

Tivo is the best when it comes to DVRs. But, I use the MR feature every day in my room and my son's room. I would hate to give that up.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@vinnyv07 wrote:

Tivo is the best when it comes to DVRs. But, I use the MR feature every day in my room and my son's room. I would hate to give that up.

Cool. I was not knocking the feature, I was just saying I have not had a use. I am glad you and I am sure many others find it very convenient.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

From a technology refresh standpoint, I am usually firmly in the camp of the service providers in terms of equipment updates -- that is, if there is nothing technically impeding with the equipment they are providing you which limits your direct use of their service, then there is no reason they should replace it expect thru the normal course of failures, etc.   (for example, the wireless G vs wireless N routers -- there is no reason Verizon should be replacing these routers just because someone wants wireless N because their internet packages they offer today all will work at full speed with wireless G -- a story which will change once their packages routinely start to exceed 50mb downstream).

In the case of the DVR however, capacity is a technical limitation.   Every customer is now not getting the same functionality but is expected to pay the same price.   This is not an acceptable circumstance and Vz should either reduce the price of those with smaller capacity units or give them an upgrade path which brings them on par with others.   

My two.

0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1

No, I know you weren't knocking it. Tell you the truth, I would have definitely went for the Tivo if I didn't use the DVR throughout the house. Tivo has the best guide I have ever seen as well as functionality.

0 Likes