Issue with connecting componets
CTaylor1

What is the proper connections for the following?

- Samsung TV (UN55RU7100F)

- Samsung Surround Sound (HT-J5500W)

- Fios TV box

Issue - cannot hear voices (audio) through surround sound. If I turn off the surround sound setting and select "TV" and turn up the TV volume, then I hear the voices. Cannot get the audio out of speakers.

Current connections.

-  Surround Sound to TV HDMI 1

-  FIOS cable box to TV HDMI 2

- Optical from FIOS to Surround sound

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Issue with connecting componets
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CTaylor wrote:

- Fios TV box

Issue - cannot hear voices (audio) through surround sound. If I turn off the surround sound setting and select "TV" and turn up the TV volume, then I hear the voices. Cannot get the audio out of speakers.

Current connections.

You have to have optical  chosen as the input on the soundbar to hear sound from the Fios box with this setup unless the TV has HDMI ARC . Why do you also have the soundbar connected to the TV with HDMI? If it's to get sound from the TVs built in apps, you should be using an ARC input on the TV to hook up the soundbar via HDMI. Does the soundbar have HDMI passthrough? Better yet, list the makes and model# of your equipment and I'll figure it out for you.

View solution in original post

Re: Issue with connecting componets
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CTaylor wrote:

- Fios TV box

Current connections.

You have to have optical  chosen as the input on the soundbar to hear sound from the Fios box with this setup unless the TV has HDMI ARC . Why do you also have the soundbar connected to the TV with HDMI? If it's to get sound from the TVs built in apps, you should be using an ARC input on the TV to hook up the soundbar via HDMI. Does the soundbar have HDMI passthrough? Better yet, list the makes and model# of your equipment and I'll figure it out for you.